Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving an 08 ML loaner till my new R get here sometime this week. The ML doesn't seem to have C/S mode selector. I was looking at pix of the 09 R and I don't think the button is there either. Is that how MB resolved the transmission problems 7 speed transmission?

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
Not sure what you are talking of. If you have air suspension, you get a Sport/Comfort selector button, but it has nothing to do with the transmission. What transmission problems are you referring to? There have been a number of minor issues that have been fixed with software upgrades, but I'm not aware of any others.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
06/07 C and R models came with a button by the emergency triangle that allowed you to select Sport or Comfort transmission mode. I thought the ML had it too. For example if you selected C the car will start in 2nd gear etc. The newer models do not seem to have that. As far as transmission problems many cars have faulty valve bodies and K1 clutches. Software updates are bandaid solutions that do not really fix the problem.

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
no such buttons on any W164 ML's with the standard suspension.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Yes, my 06ML with standard suspension did not have C/S button.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
The W164 and the W163 never had the C/S switch. This seems to appear only on the cars and it allows the .in 2nd gear rather than first to minimize wheel torque and spinning. The 2nd gear position should be used in slippery conditions,otherwise the normal 1st gear start should be used. In the earlier sedans/cars this same function switch was labled W/S (winter/summer).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That explains it all. Thank you for your input

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
The other models (not ML63) have the offroad button instead:

The off-road drive program assists you in driving off-road and when fording. The engine's performance characteristics and the gearshifting characteristics of the automatic transmission are adapted for this purpose. ABS, ESP® and 4 ETS programs especially adapted to off-road driving are also activated.

M-Class Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Controls | Off-road driving]

·
Registered
757 Posts
You can start off in second gear by putting the vehicle in Drive, switching to manual by clicking the left paddle, and switching to second by clicking the right one.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
You can start off in second gear by putting the vehicle in Drive, switching to manual by clicking the left paddle, and switching to second by clicking the right one.
That only limits the transmission to 2nd as the highest it will go. It will not start off in 2nd.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Now I have to eat crow. I tried it again and sure enough it starts in first. I could have sworn this morning that it was starting in second. I was sitting on a patch of ice; maybe the traction control was making it appear as if a higher gear were engaged.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know if you guys in the U.S can get the Off-Road package but with this optional package you'll also have a S/M button on the dash. Contrary to our gear range setting buttons behind the wheel, in M mode you have fully functioning manual transmission mode.

It's a pity that Mercedes thinks this manual mode is only functional for off-road applications. I would really like to use that S/M button on the road!

·
Registered
Mercedes ML 420 CDI
192 Posts
I have offroad mode, but I really don't undestand what is the difference betwen M and S, when I use the pads.

Ok, on LCD (if it's on S) and I press the PADs I see D1-7, when In M (manual Mode), I see M1-M7.

What is the difference between S1-7 and M1-7 ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts