Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone convert a RWD to 4Matic? I have a 2014 E350.

I need to swap out my engine and find the 4Matic engines are cheaper and readily more available than the RWD. Would be interesting to see what it would take to make the conversion since I need a new engine anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
740 Posts
I would think the cost of installing a 4Matic drive train would far outweigh the cost difference b/t your RWD engine and a 4Matic engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure what it would take. I think the bulk of the difference is tied to engine block and whatever other components are needed for the front wheels.

I’m a novice and relying on internet info to figure this out.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,786 Posts
I don't see why the engine would be different. The block mates to the transmission, then the transfer case. Same engine number, same engine. A data card check using your VIN would tell you your engine.

Having said that, you may need some programming with a Star tool (dealer or someone with the tool) to tell the car it has a different engine now (serial number).

As far as going from RWD to 4Matic - might as well go with a whole used car. Not only the drivetrain, but lots of ancilliaries and most likely wiring harness, definitely computer would need to be swapped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very true. I was hoping to do a project with going from RED to 4 Matic but it seems that there is way too many things to factor in at this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts