Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
B250 - 2014
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have the screws that hold the plate that are rusting. Looks horrible especially since the car is all shinny. Anyone has the same problem ? I'm wondering if I could find a non-rusting alternative.

My question is : Is there any size/tread I shall look for ?

here is a photo of this disgrace !! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
C 230 2008 7 Speed, Silver
379 Posts
If the rusty screw came from Mercedes, :eek: then take it back to the dealer and ask for replacements.
If the offending screw came from somewhere else, then take it to Canadian Tire and get replacements that are either plastic or zinc plated. We can't have your trusty B turning into a rusty B.:)

PS I once had a Mercedes that suffered from rusty nuts ( no, it was not painful ) - MB replaced all of the wheel nuts without question.

·
Registered
B200 T 2007 Gone, Discovery Sport 2016
1,581 Posts
Nest 18
The dealership in Montreal seems a little better than here on the coast, I received a black plastic license plate frame, not the chrome one you have. At least when our screws rust nobody cares:crybaby2: Like BeeClass says get zinc or even chrome plated, it does look tacky on any car to have rusty bolts or screws showing.

Bill

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Yes I agree about anything rusty being replaced. I have just had to take off my (aftermarket) chrome number plate surround, bought on ebay, because it got dented in the post and now the rust has started to show. I would not have minded so much but this was a dearer one bought to replace a chromed plastic one that got broken in the post.

Years ago they used to be chromed brass and just used to get dull over time.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
The rear bolts are size M6, so go to an industrial supply store and get 4 short M6 screws in stainless steel. You can also get long ones and cut them down to fit. Mine have hex key heads and look cool. The plating on the original rear plate bolts was getting eaten away by the excessive salt applications last winter.

The front license plate screws are self-tapping, and I would recommend getting regular stainless steel self-tappers for there.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,190 Posts
As Mike has said get stainless and nothing else.
In Montreal's salt, even plated screws will corrode in a few years. Funny though Daniel, mine came with stainless screws to begin with.
But I did pay $1000's more for my B, so I guess I payed for the better screws.:(

·
Registered
Our 3rd Black - "Betty B Bomber"
184 Posts
As Mike has said get stainless and nothing else.
In Montreal's salt, even plated screws will corrode in a few years. Funny though Daniel, mine came with stainless screws to begin with.
But I did pay $1000's more for my B, so I guess I payed for the better screws.:(
You mean nest18 got screwed? :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Martin

·
Registered
B250 - 2014
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your feedback !

Yes Martman, I got screwed :thumbsup: If you read some of my early post I've change dealership since then !!

Thinking about it, I'll see if this dealer can install proper stainless screws on it ...

·
Registered
B200 CDI SE
2,248 Posts
Our rear doors (boots) come with plastic plugs so you could screw a self tapper or a normal machine screw in. Stainless steel screws aren't that easy to buy loose over here.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
I found them at...

one of the many marine parts stores down by the ocean ( West Marine ) in stainless as the dealer was out.

B

·
Registered
'05 W203, '91 R129
25 Posts
Thanks guys for your feedback !

Yes Martman, I got screwed :thumbsup: If you read some of my early post I've change dealership since then !!

Thinking about it, I'll see if this dealer can install proper stainless screws on it ...
After all, the dealer's name is Silver Star, not Rusty Star! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts