Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all..
I am a mercedes nut myself..having owned a 78'450SEL, an 89'420SEL, and an 81' 280CE, I now own a 78' 280SL (EURO) in signal red, blk leather, and a 4 spd manual trans..I love her. She is a rare beauty of the 107 line. But I discovered rust on the inside floorboards.:( The drivers side needs sanding and paint but the passenger side is all the way thru and will need to be cut out and so will the side wall. I discovered this after I bought it. The SL has some kind of factory blk cushion stuff that is glued to the floorboards but it cracked years ago and the foam holds water like a sponge literally. I know that it is factory because it had #'s on it and had threaded interior lining which made it a pain to pull out. Why did mercedes put that stuff on the floor boards and also have the cushion piece that is attached to the carpeting like every other benz? Maybe it is a Euro thing.
So... Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop in Tampa, St. Petersburg, FL to do this that knows mercedes cars and will do amazing work? I can't find one. The closest I found was Buds Benz outside Atlanta, GA. It is all body shops here for accident work. And to think..Florida probably has one of the highest number of mercedes in the state, second to California.
[:(]

·
Registered
1972 220D 4 spd man
12 Posts
I have a '72 220D that has had a poor man's floorboard repair. It looks like aluminum real estate for sale signs sheet metal screwed in from the top side. It sounds second rate, but when I crawl under the car, it's really quite well done. The floors are solid and you'd never know.

If you are trying to restore that car to original, I'd say it might be a daunting task. But if you are enjoying the Benz driving experience as seems to be evident from your long list of M-B ownership, then I'd say patch it up and move on to the driving enjoyment part.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,204 Posts
Unfortunatly, the repair sections are no longer available from Mercedes Benz, I tried to get a set for my 450SEL and was told that they longer make it.

I am having my set fabricated. Keep your eyes peeled on the 450SEL 6.9 section on http://alabbasi.net .

If you can find a rust free car at a junk yard, you can have them cut out and welded to your car. It is a lot of work mind you and you need to consider that there is a lot more rust then what you see.

All said, if I had a 280SE with a manual I would do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You have very valuble car there,regardless of the condition.Niemoller in Germany carry all rust panels for the SL.There is also a SL resto shop,whose name i can't remember(AL Symer is my mate)and who has a web site showing all the work they do for SL owners.I found it in a car for sale link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts