Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the new G-Wagons chassis have been "dipped" and have wax poured through the frame. These G-Wagon are also supposed to have a 30 year guarantee against rust. Is this true?
What year did they begin to rust protect the G-Wagons?

Thanks Again,
Chuck

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
I think there was rust protection from the begining of the G class in '79. In old information I have it says, "The Mercedes G is thoroghly protected in many ways, by several processes. The body is de-greased, phosphated, dip-primed electro-phoretically, coated with a thick filler-undercoat; the finish coat is baked on. Even the chassis has a baked-on finish. Tough, yet flexible, PVC underseal is applied to the vehicle floor. All hollow parts and cavities are coated with wax and areas that are particularly susceptible to rust are additionally protected by a zinc-dust compound."
This is from an '81 brochure of the model range. No mention of a 30 year warranty. It also says, " Wherever you take your Mercedes-Benz cross-country vehicle, the service is already there."

-Dai

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Dai - 5/11/2005 2:50 AM

It also says, " Wherever you take your Mercedes-Benz cross-country vehicle, the service is already there."

-Dai
No quite true in those days. Service certainly wasn't "here" (USA) at that time.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
my 1980 came from factory with wax inside chassis

Ask the guy that welded up my sliders! (article on CGW). Also all the undercoating Dai mentions is on my '80.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
All mercedes cars including G wagens have a 30year paint/rust warranty in Europe but not sure about the USA. I think it started about 99. My freind purchased a 2001 461 290GTD and found bad rust on side window where they had chipped paint when putting in window on the production line. MB painted it under the 30 year warranty scheme. But be careful there are clauses.

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
Its a shame they dont have the 30 paint warranty on the sprinters vans (Freightliner in the states) I have 4 sprinters and after a year they rust where the body meets the cab and around the windscreen pillars. We had paint thickness test done and the min - max is 120-140 micron. 1 van had 80. Still out of all the vans we have which are Mitsubishi, Iveco and Ford, still cant beat the sprinter for all round work horse and mechaniclal longevity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts