Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300D 2.5TD 320.000 km , 1991 300E 2.6 165.000 Km
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1991 300D TD that developed some rust on the sunroof, drivers side corner, (car body not the sliding roof)

I had the car painted one year ago but unfortunately the rust is coming back at the same place, paint is bubbling on the corner.

Has anyone had the same issue and what would you recommend as permanent repair.

Thank you,

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
I am mulling over the same problem and it looks like @ this point the rust is attacking the galvanic coating. I don't think there is any easy solution to preventing the rust as it forms where the gasket meets the roof. Maybe periodic removal of the gasket and blasting away any abrasive debris would help. At this point in time, I'm doing nothing. So long as the galvanizing holds up I'll just wait till I have enough coinage for a proper re-spray then explore my options.

·
Registered
w124 400E x R129 w210
429 Posts
Worst possible place for rust in the W124 body....it basically can't be removed 'cause you can't get up under the lip on the roof to get at it. Only thing to do is keep the area saturated with specific purpose anti-corrision rust treatment oil.

·
Registered
1991 300D 2.5TD 320.000 km , 1991 300E 2.6 165.000 Km
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I understand well the only solution will be to remove the upholstery under the roof, repair from under and above, then paint again.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Me to,small spot,thinking of using that rust reform stuff,transforms rust into paintable surface or something,available at auto parts house

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Rust converter only works when there is rust. Im thinking a better strategy would be to take the area down to bare metal and apply two coats of galvanizing primer then two stage and worry about it again in 10 yrs.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Cleaning it out is all you can do. VW Buses have this problem under the windshield seal. And if you live in a damp or humid climate then the water will never completely dry as the seal ages and shrinks slightly.

Of course, if you live in a desert climate this is a problem, too!

I would also recommend, twice yearly, "moisturizing" all of your rubber window seals, etc...

Also check around the taillights, etc...

What a VW Bus looks like when you remove the windshield:

I don't think there is any easy solution to preventing the rust as it forms where the gasket meets the roof.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts