Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230K sedan, 2007 B200T (both manual)
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue was mentioned over and over again. I kinda considered myself lucky that every time I checked the the weak areas where rust was normally reported, I found no sign of bubbles.... until today. I was extremely busy in the past 3 months and every time I washed the car it was a quick one, no detailing. Today for first time in 3 months I took my time and cleaned my B with extra care. To my horror the bottoms of all 4 of my doors had rust bubbles, it's like this isn't my car at all, rust appeared out of the blue...

My warranty was up in end of August. Did anyone who is out of warranty ever approached MB with this issue...? If so, can you share the experience...?

Thanks, G

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
I got some traces at the bottom of the front doors only... and bought mine out of warranty already... I'll check it out in the spring...until then, keep it clean and wipe that area every time I wash it (kinda weekly).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if I should waste any time with this, going to the stealer... The warranty clearly states surface rust is will be repaired within 4 yr 80K km whichever comes first. G

·
Registered
2006 B200T
930 Posts
I wonder if I should waste any time with this, going to the stealer... The warranty clearly states surface rust is will be repaired within 4 yr 80K km whichever comes first. G
I'd take this up with MB Canada. seeing as you are only recently out of warranty. How can they expect to make a car that will rust away after 4 years, when others manufacturers can make a car last longer and sell for cheaper. They may be able to do something for you, seeing how this issue must have been documented already. What year is your B? '06 or '07? If '07 which type of weld bead do you have on the doors, the rippled one or the smooth one?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take this up with MB Canada. seeing as you are only recently out of warranty. How can they expect to make a car that will rust away after 4 years, when others manufacturers can make a car last longer and sell for cheaper. They may be able to do something for you, seeing how this issue must have been documented already. What year is your B? '06 or '07? If '07 which type of weld bead do you have on the doors, the rippled one or the smooth one?
Mine is '07, smooth caulking (bead) at the bottom of the doors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to take some pictures this evening and post them here...

G

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Holski crapski! Bad scene there. Need doors for sure. I bet that is perforated (pinholes) if you clean it right off.

I wonder if M-B ever did find and fix the problem. I had a 21 year old Peugeot that I retired last year after 400K and it had no rust at all despite living in the BC snow belt and doing >200K km in it for a decade. M-B today is surely able to do as well as the French could in 1988.

Evidently the "smooth caulking" theory is just that, the idea being that the time that Mercedes started galvanising the doors BEFORE caulking them was coincidental with the onset of smooth caulking. False! According to a German forum, at some date (I forget what it is) the doors were galvanised before the caulking was applied, to correct this problem.

Randompick, what is the build date of your car (on the driver's side B-pillar)?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My C-class is '04 with higher mileage and the doors (and the whole body for that matter) are like brand new. They went cheap on the B-class in my opinion. This didn't stop them for charging top dollar for this glorified Toyota Matrix. I also have a 2003 Forester and this thing was abused through winters, yet the doors are in perfect condition... I'll check the production date tomorrow Mike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wrote MB an email. Lets wait and see what their response will be... Will keep ya posted... G

Oh yeah, Mike, I almost forgot: Built Date 07/06

·
Registered
2006 B200T
930 Posts
Holy crud! so, smooth bead or not, the doors were just built poorly. Is that what I'm hearing. Terrific (sarcasm inserted). Even though I live on the we(s)t coast, my car will rust like all the others, just slower.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,528 Posts
Holy crud! smooth bead or not , the doors were just built poorly. Is that what I'm hearing. Terrific (sarcasm inserted). Even though I live on the we(s)t coast, my car will rust like all the others, just slower.
That's what I said a few years back. If it was only this rare few from a bad batch,......then why were we seeing so many B's from Canada with the bubbling problem? MB just want the rust warranties to expire with as little trouble as possible for them and then wash their hands of it.
We are going to see a lot of rusty B's in the future. :crybaby2:

Come to think of it........that might explain why I'm getting such great fuel economy.

Oh!!! No .... My B might be a lot lighter than most of yours...:eek:
This winter will be the 6th for me. :surrender:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good that we can keep some sense of humor...

Indeed we'll see many B's that will look like rust buckets 3-5 years from now. It will actually look good on MB and show the world that they, like any other car manufacturer cut corners and/or make mistakes. Too bad this will be on our expense...

These doors rust from the inside out. How long before holes appear on the outer skin of the door? That'll be real pretty... I'm not waiting to get to that point. I already stopped by my local VW dealer and took 2011 GTI for a test drive, $35,000 before tax, this was with $2600 leather package, 18" wheels and some other upgrades media package bla-bla... I would have made the deal on the spot, but guess what, no one, not even the MB dealer wanted my B200T, 2007 with 81,000km on it and no one wants it... I've never been in a situation like this before. I've been insulted by lawdall offers from dealers before and this is what I expected today, but never thought the salesman will tell me that he can't offer anything for my trade, simply because no one wants it. Wow! May be this is a KIA and someone put MB emblem on the grill, I got sucked into a scam when I bought this car...

George

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So have things changed at all? Just leased a 2011. I was told not to undercoat with oil.
It's anyone's guess... only time will show. If I was leasing it, I wouldn't even worry.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
It would actually be BIG FUN to return a rusty 39 month old B Class to M-B leasing. "Sorry sir, you will have to fix that owner-caused damage!" LOL.

If mine rusts out, so it will remain, in all its glory, as I continue to use it. If the chassis gets bad rust, well that's a different matter. Well I would kindly ask for new doors and tailgate, then rustproof them myself. Got to do mine this year I guess, though I still have 2 years of full warranty left.

·
Registered
2011 B200T
48 Posts
Guess I give a crap...thought I was buying a primo vehichle that i might want to purchase when the lease was up. Leased or purchased doesn't seem like fun to watch it rust out. Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Consider yourself lucky my friend, unlike the rest of us who purchased these cars. You have the option to walk away... wish I had this option, I would love to give them the keys back.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts