Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91' 560SEL, 03' BMW M3, 94' 500E
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cliffnotes: i have rust on the inside metal brace (wrong word i think but you can visualize it) of my rear bumper. it doesnt seem to have caused any damage. i might get a body shop to fix it within a month to a year. what should i do? thanks.

Hey guys,

So I got the gen 2 euro bumpers and the front bumper is in very good condition. the chrome is in good condition and the bumper overall is great (since im going to get it painted again later). The rear bumper is in an okay condition. The chrome on one side is a bit bent up but the body shop can take care of that when i get it repainted. what i was more worried about was the metal brace (sorry im sure thats not the right word but ive been up all night studying) on the inside of the rear bumper has rust all over it. it hasnt eaten away at anything yet and it doesnt look like it is harming the structural integrity of the bumper. just wondering but what are your suggestions on what to do. right now im just going to wait to have a body shop fix it when i get the bumpers repainted which will be between next month to a year (i may get the entire car resprayed along with the new bumpers instead of at a separate time so thats the year timeframe). thanks for any help you guys can give.

-patrick

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
Rust never sleeps....

Blnk124,

A couple of pictures would make things a lot easier. :)

That being said, rust is never good. How difficult would it be to remove the rust? Can you use a wire brush to get rid of most of it (i.e. mostly surface rust)? Will it be visible ?

If it is mostly surface rust and not visible, I'd use a wire brush to remove most of it and then cover the steel with an anti-rust primer.

·
Registered
91' 560SEL, 03' BMW M3, 94' 500E
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from the looks of it, i can get rid of most of it with a wire brush right now. im keeping it in an area where the bumpers will be completely dry. since it looks like surface rust, should i take care of it with a wire brush and some sort of a solvent?

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
I would take the bumper off (eight size 13 nuts) and inspect it thoroughly. See if you can get to what you need to fix, otherwise you should probably take off the plastic gravelshield and chrome piece (16 size 13 nuts). At that point, if it looks like something amenable to repair, scrub off the rust and apply anti-rust primer/paint as described...or once you are that far into it, you might get a "new" one from the junkyard. I got a complete one for 30-some bucks and the labor was doable.

I would advise against just sitting on it because if you have rust underneath your bumper, there might well be more damage than readily apparent. When I replaced mine, I surprisingly found surface rust on the interface between the flange of the gravelshield and trunk...impossible to spot (like, when I bought the car) with the bumper attached. Another positive side effect is that when you take the car to get painted, you already have the bumper removal down for the prep and that will save you paying for the labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts