Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Von essentially got a clean, almost rust free mog with just a dent on one fender for about $6K.

This guy wants $14,500 for a rust bucket. Probably worth $14,500 if it had a dozer blade AND backhoe attachments.

What's this world coming to ...

Unimog® Exchange

FOR SALE
1979 Unimog 406 Case MB4-94, 20 speed transmission, front and rear 540-1000 PTO, 2 hydraulic lines, dics brakes, titled, $14,500. Picasa Web Albums - 10241903685784563... - 79 case for sale

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Didn't you know that the paint on case trucks has 24K gold mixed in to give it that wonderful tone and high resale value.

But seriously, prices for mogs seem to be all over the place and is a sad byproduct of the crappy economy and the lack of confidence in the Obama administration. I have seen this in virtually every specialty market here in the US. SAD INDEED.

Guess the question is, will the 406 be worth 8K or 14K in the future. Certainly the 404 market is going to take a huge huge hit.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Guess the question is, will the 406 be worth 8K or 14K in the future.
Sure they will be !

Every time Von cuts one up, the remaining ones go up in price. Pretty soon, he'll have cut them all up but one and the survivor will be priceless ! :1poke:

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Sure they will be !

Every time Von cuts one up, the remaining ones go up in price. Pretty soon, he'll have cut them all up but one and the survivor will be priceless ! :1poke:
hah, I love it!!!!!

·
Registered
1978 Case 406
173 Posts
All I have to say is if it was my truck, someone would have already received a PM.
Bob

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts
But for 29-5 you can haggle over Von's brown beauty. How long till that truck returns to the abattoir to continue the cycle of life?

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
All I have to say is if it was my truck, someone would have already received a PM.
Bob
There goes free speech out the window.

I don't think it's worth the $14,500, but you know what they say about opinions.

I was just trying to start a thread about how vastly different prices of mogs are.

Essentially the one Von got is almost 95% the same as this one. Except this CASE probably has disc brakes vs drum brakes on the rail mog, and maybe a different transmission. Also this CASE has a snorkel.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
But for 29-5 you can haggle over Von's brown beauty. How long till that truck returns to the abattoir to continue the cycle of life?
To me DoKa's are in a different category. They're very difficult to come by, so I don't think the current economy will affect their prices too much. Plus that mog was rebuilt from the ground up.

I'd buy the yellow one before the brown one though. I don't like the look of the tugs, but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts
DoKa are different and could be seen as their own monsters, I just found it interesting that it was on the exchange as well.

What I have observed about pricing in general is they are worth what ever someone will pay. That said, the market is unique because each truck is different in some way and base line pricing, say like you would have with jeeps or classic cars etc, is hard to come by. You can't just say it's 406, becasue oh no it's Case MB 4/94 which is like a 406 but not. If we were talking jeeps it would a simple matter of it's a CJ7 with this engine, this transmission, this transfer case, these ratios with a hard top and you could almost line item it, adjusting up and down from "standard". But oh no, mog's gotta be all unique!

I would be nice to have baselines for what is outrageous but as I once remarked about my 1970 Sport Sedan Malibu with no B-pillars and one of like 1500 built that year; a rock in horse poop is rare and unique but rare and unique does not make it valuable. The kink is that except for the 404's, nearly any other unit is in some way rare and unique and spec built.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
658 Posts
I'd have to pick the Yellow one as well - if only because it's a 1988 with newer axles, etc. The second reason though, is the wheel base!

I didn't know about the gold in the paint either, so I'm going to start scratching everyone's mog to see what the base color paint was, then take an 8 inch sander to it when the owner is not looking! What's it at now? $1400+ per ounce? :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Doka's hard to come by...HA...they seem to go to the people who have dreams of 6door Suburban Land yachts....So essentially they take 2 Dokas and ruin one to make a Albatrosse! LOL! All of you would be surprised if you took the time to take a door apart at the seems how easy it is to fab up another door instead of ruining another cab or two cabs to make a 6 door Transformer!

·
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
Sure they will be !

Just you wait... Von is going to buy his brown doka back (that he sold at the peak of the market), cut it up - and make another killing off the same truck :eke:
;)

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
That machine is worth every bit of 15k. Its in great condition for the money. Von always sniffs out the deals because that's his life work. The case unit is very complete with some rust, but far from a rust bucket. I hate when someone with a grudge gets on here a tries to slander another. The U900 is just increasing in value as time goes on.. and the case units that are left aught to be restored and preserved. This would be an easy one to perk back into shape.

ACUF

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
It all comes down to, can you find the mog outfitted to do what you need, for the price you can afford, and within shipping distance? And, without a rear hi flow hydraulics, or a rear 3 point, it's limited as to what it can do. If the right buyer was close, looking for that truck, it might be an OK deal to avoid $15-2500 in shipping costs. I personally think that a similar condition AG spec 406 could be found for similar cost, and would be a much more versatile machine. I just took a bath on my 416, but that is just the current market for the truck I had to offer, and who if anyone was looking for one.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That machine is worth every bit of 15k. Its in great condition for the money. Von always sniffs out the deals because that's his life work. The case unit is very complete with some rust, but far from a rust bucket. I hate when someone with a grudge gets on here a tries to slander another. The U900 is just increasing in value as time goes on.. and the case units that are left aught to be restored and preserved. This would be an easy one to perk back into shape.
If you think it's slander, then I'm sorry. I never meant to slander anyone, and I'm not sure why you said I have a grudge against the seller.

Most people want a CASE because they generally have dozer and backhoe attachments since they almost always have front and rear PTO/hydraulics. I guess if you already had the attachments and lived within a close distance to this mog, it might be a good buy rather than spending $2k to have another one shipped. For $2k you can do a lot of bodywork/painting. But without any attachments, I think you'd have a hard time selling it, but like I said, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
I'd say the machine is quite equipped for anything you wanted to use it for here in the states. Yes the three point hitch would be a plus, but they are so hard to come by for all of us. people can make rear three points for the case mogs just as easy as it would be to find and pay for one. It can take all the American implements, and that's where its being sold, so I see no real downside to owning a case. Either way, to each his own. No offense meant either, just seemed like a bit harsh way to start a thread, and turns out the information about its previous life was incorrect as well.

ACUF

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

ACUF
Good points Acuf, I don't really understand the reason for the post in the first place. HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS!!!! SOME DICK IS TRYING TO RIP SOMEONE OFF!!! LETS TEACH HIM A LESSON!!. ??

If it was being sold for $24K the slander might be worthy but at 14K it's not that out of line. Some rust yeah but hardly a rust bucket and a pretty well equipped, pretty clean looking machine. I bet he would take less too. The reason Von got that 406 so cheap was that it was a rail unit ( I guess that is the one) with almost no market but still a good deal for Von and not a comparable sale.

What, do you think we should all fight to keep the price of our trucks as low as possible so we can never get our money out of them if we need to sell?

Sorry but I really hate this kind of stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts