Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
06 W211
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed what appears to be rust (paint) bubbles on the left front and left rear door just under the body side mouldings.(About six inches long
per door).
The only door rust issue I know of is under the
rubber seals on top of the doors.
Has anyone else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
The doors in general are prone to rust (unfortunately). I'm sure Mercedes saved at least 15 cents per door by skimping on the zinc coating.

I haven't looked inside the door at that point to see if there is a natural tray that collects water, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the door guard beam or other such water collector there.

Couple challenges here. The islands have always been hard on trapped moisture in cars. As you know, everything rusts, even on the dry side. The other is that rust never sleeps. The only way to stop it is to completely clean it out. If you leave any behind, or cover it up -- it will be back. It's just a matter of time.

This board has a few people that are quite knowledgable. Anyone know what on the inside of the door under the moulding??

·
Registered
2002 E430 SE - Gone but not forgotten :-(
95 Posts
What about warranty?

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
There is a recall to have MB inject some sort of sealant under the top of the door frames. Pull back the rubber weatherstripping at the top of the door and you will see what I am talking about.

However, mine are starting to rust and they have to take steps to correct this first. My drivers door actually has 2 rust penetration holes.

Pretty much means it will be going to the body shop to sandblast the rust off, then repaint under the molding and add sealant.

My dealer is still talking to MB about it because my car is out of the warranty period. I have 95,000km and I am just over the 5 year period by a few months.

I am not going to pay for it to be fixed as it has been a known issue for years and they are just getting to it now.

·
Registered
W210, E280 ELEGANCE
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my W210 E280 face-lift and the dealer replaced my whole door and put a brand new one on for me. They showed me the door and that whole area where the plasic strip runs at the bottom was rusted.

They said its a Mercedes-Benz policy only to replace it with new parts instead of re-fixing the existing part. My car is virtually new and has only 42000 kilometres and is a 2000 model. I hardly drive it and it sleeps in a garage.

You should just tell the dealer to fix it because its a major problem.

·
Registered
06 W211
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys...

Next week I have an appointment with the Service
Manager to look over this issue. If that doesnt suffice me, the factory Rep is next on my head hunters list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts