Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cspan showed the various national leaders arriving at the steps of Buckingham Palace, one by one. The Saudis arrive in a Maybach, Hillary Clinton in a 7 serie BMW, and Russian President Medvedev in a stretched black W140. Nice to see that the "tank" is still favored by the Russians!

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
I thought the President Medvedev came in this Beast, not w140. Looks very outdated though.

I ve read about this Tatra thing once that it has a special low gear, essentially "0.5th" to allow the car to run at ~5KMH without being jerky, for parades and such...

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Isn't it a ZIL-limo, the russians usually drive ?
Not a Tatra-limo..

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
615 Posts

The G Wagons the W140 make the ULTIMATE convoy

one word.... BOSS

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I stand corrected. I read the link to the Moscow Times, describing
the new limo. From the rear,which is the shot I saw on Cspan, it looked like a W140.Can somebody find a photo of the new limo and post it?

This new limo is apparently a creation of a Russian manufacturer,with some involvement by GM, but it sure appears as though there is some copying of the W140 style.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
Could it be in Saudi Arabia? the plate sure looks like it...

·
BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,918 Posts
Cspan showed the various national leaders arriving at the steps of Buckingham Palace, one by one. The Saudis arrive in a Maybach, Hillary Clinton in a 7 serie BMW, and Russian President Medvedev in a stretched black W140. Nice to see that the "tank" is still favored by the Russians!
Hillary Clinton official limo is a BMW 7 series? she also uses the 7 series when she visits Indonesia.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
It's at the ranch in Texas when Putin visited in 2001/2ish.
the car has an American Flag and non american plate. so this pic has to be taken abroad, and the vehicle belongs to a US embassy abroad.

Here in the US, the presidential vehicle is usually a Caddy due to protocols. it must be American made at the very least...

Also, the headlights on that car are non-DOT (US specs)

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
the car has an American Flag and non american plate. so this pic has to be taken abroad, and the vehicle belongs to a US embassy abroad.

Here in the US, the presidential vehicle is usually a Caddy due to protocols. it must be American made at the very least...

I know but you always fly the flag of the country you are visiting when you meet the head of government, did you not notice that Obama's limo had a union jack on it when he met the queen and the British PM.

See here:

3 News > Video > World > Obama and Brown optimistic as they meet before the start of G20 summit

And a few years ago when Bush was at No. 10:

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts

Actually, I've read that the Benz limo was shipped over to use in the USA for the visit.

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No question, it appears that George and Laura are having a "W140" moment.
Not sure if the visit is in the U.S. or not, but it is logical that the Russians would fly their own limo over,just as we do when the President goes overseas.

Thanks also for the great shots of Putin and Medvedev getting out of their W140s.

If anyone can find that Cspan video of the various limos arriving at the Buckingham Palace portico, it would be a great link for us to check out. I will try C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics

1 - 20 of 32 Posts