Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stevenpfaff peaked my curiosity when in the thread "Diesel Prices" he wrote you could burn W.V.O. up to 20% in our diesels, without modifiactions. Since I am a guy who enjoys deep fried turkeys, chicken (whatever I can catch), I always just dumped the oil at a collection center. Now I am going to try to strain it, and use it in my old 300D.

Question; What is the best way to strain the used oil? Is 20% a good ratio? I understand the W.V.O. has better lubrication and should assist in keeping my engine & injectors clean. Are there any other benefits? Or worse, how about problems.

I want to keep this car for many, many years, like the rest of you, so I am looking to do whatever to keep her at her best. I am also going to try the syn. oil from AMSOIL next month in her. I have heard, and read many good things about this product, so I'll try it. I understand changing your oil is more important than your oil type, but with Chicago weather (hot&cold&hot&cold), I figure the added insurance will not hurt. I'll let you know what I think in a few months.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Happy Motoring
Lancer

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Just run your WVO through a cheescloth filter, you can make one with some 4" pvc stuffed with cheescloth and a reducer down to 2". If you use your imagination, I'm sure you can figure out something that fits your fuel filler with a valve that allows you to turn it on once you have it in the hole.
There is actually no unsafe limit for burning WVO, you can run on straight WVO if you have a two tank system. The only problem with running WVO is that the engine won't start on it, that's the reason for a two tank system. look at http://www.journeytoforever.org if you are feeling really adventurous you could make you own biodiesel from the WVO. I think you can mix diesel with WVO up to 50/50 without any starting issues, but that depends on the temperature. I just told you 80/20 to ensure you don't have starting issues. If you are interested in producing biodiesel, let me know, I can help you out with building a processor.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Willie Nelson is marketing a fuel that is about that ratio, but only in Texas. No special alterations needed and the truckers love it!

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Ed Mclass - 4/1/2005 7:52 PM

Willie Nelson is marketing a fuel that is about that ratio, but only in Texas. No special alterations needed and the truckers love it!
That's biodiesel. Biodiesel, sold by fueling stations, is made from virgin vegetable oil usually from soybeans. There are several stations across the country, I believe about 135, that sell biodiesel. Ratios sold are usually B5,B10, and B20 (B stands for biodiesel and number stands for the % of biodiesel). You can run B100 in warm weather, still with absolutly no alterations to the car, you just have to change your fuel filters before you start running it and three or four times over the first 5000 miles or so.
For more information on biodiesel see

http://www.biodiesel.org
This is the National Biodiesel Board official website which includes a map of all biodiesel retailers.
Other sites you may find interesting are
http://www.veggieavenger.com
http://www.journeytoforever.org

·
Registered
1983 240D 4 speed
102 Posts
Actually I think you will find that WVO and dino will not blend easily and may tend to seperate once mixed. This is not biodiesel which will mix and blend to any percentage.
SVO/WVO is best undertaken with a two tank system using a heat exchanger to keep the oil hot from tank to IP and starting and stopping on dino or biodiesel when it is warm out or just on dino when the temps cool.
SVO is controvertial where DI engines are concerned. There have been reports of coking problems that can result in engine damage, but this is not so with biodiesel or IDI engines AFAIK (as far as I know),which requires no mods other than a heated tank for cold weather use if you don't want to blend or use expensive biodiesel specific additives, and even then extreme cold will still give you trouble so heat is the way to go.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
BioBenz - 4/1/2005 10:27 PM

Actually I think you will find that WVO and dino will not blend easily and may tend to seperate once mixed. This is not biodiesel which will mix and blend to any percentage.
SVO/WVO is best undertaken with a two tank system using a heat exchanger to keep the oil hot from tank to IP and starting and stopping on dino or biodiesel when it is warm out or just on dino when the temps cool.
SVO is controvertial where DI engines are concerned. There have been reports of coking problems that can result in engine damage, but this is not so with biodiesel or IDI engines AFAIK (as far as I know),which requires no mods other than a heated tank for cold weather use if you don't want to blend or use expensive biodiesel specific additives, and even then extreme cold will still give you trouble so heat is the way to go.
You have mostly reiderated what I have said. I have not, however, heard of seperation between WVO and petro diesel. I guess the best way to test that would be to mix some petro and WVO in a jar and see what happens over a few days. Regardless, do you agree that WVO can be mixed with petro diesel in 50/50 or smaller ratios? Mercedes engines are IDI (InDirect Ignition) so that is not a concern.
I'm not sure if you are in agreement or disagreement with me.

·
Registered
1980 300D 4 spd.
43 Posts
I applaud anyone who a. recycles b. reduces dependance on mid-east oil c. uses their own initiative to do so.

But I would caution against mixing seemingly random fuels in your tank unless you are fortunate enough to have a 'test bed' like SP. (your avatar makes me sad)

Biodiesel is NOT wvo+diesel. Biodiesel wvo is altered and blended w/ diesel using chem rxns and heat.

Commonly found fuel compunds can emulsify str8 WVO causing EXTREMELY undesirable results... Bye bye IP.

Lets go greener, but lets do it smart.

cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I do plan to mix jar samples of all waste fuel combinations before I put them in my tank. I'm doing this as an actual scientific study, not as randomly mixed tanks of fuel. I will be making test samples of all mixtures I use and logging any imperical data I'm able to measure. I think that's "doing it smart." BTW, do you think that I have mistaken the difference between WVO and biodiesel? Both WVO and biodiesel will be part of my study.
EDIT: I even know somebody that has the equipment to check emmisions so I plan to monitor that also.

·
Registered
1980 300D 4 spd.
43 Posts
I was replying to Lancers original post. Nothing more.

In theory I really like the idea of running wvo... cost etc. But the realities of a second tank and associated plumbing and electrical make it much less appealing.

So that leaves me with biodiesel, but its very hard to find here, the closest place is @ the pentagon, (I hate driving downtown). If I had the space I'd cobble together some water heaters and brew up my own b50.

I hope BD will be the next big thing, Biowillie has been getting good press and John Deere started specifying B2 as their factory fill. (I Know its not much, but its a start!)

cheers,
RObert

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robert, thanks for the response. I am going to wait until Stevenpfaff does his testing with the WVO and diesel mixing. If mixing the two is bad, why have I heard that the WVO is GOOD for your engine as a lubricant and a cleaner for the fuel system? In the Greater Chicagoland area, there are no BD destributers. I wish I had the space and knowledge to brew my own BD, but alas, I do not. I looked at the set up, and it really looked complicated (at least for me). What do you think about using #2 fuel oil? And for what it's worth, I LOVE Willie...

·
Registered
1980 300D 4 spd.
43 Posts
if you can get away w/ burning #2 FO then I'd go for it, but its dyed red for a reason and I have read that it takes a LONG time to get that red dye stuff out of your fuel system. Truckers are subject to 'tank dips' at weigh stations, the inspectors dip a strip, and if it comes out red, boy hold onto your wallet, 'cause you are looking a fine that will be in the thousands of dollars.

http://www.dot.state.az.us/mvd/FuelTaxEvasion/

Someone just posted on mercedesshop that they were driving their diesel benz in AZ, and every diesel vehicle was stopped and tested for red diesel. FYI

Yes, everything I have read about WVO has been overwhelmingly positive, but you must have a heated xtra tank/plumbing/return lines/solonoids/switches to 'do it right'. I am capable of installing such a system, but I am loath to give up trunk space and complicate my engine compartment.

SP gave some excellent links... heres one more...

these people made every mistake in installing their WVO system, but they've got heart (sometimes its nice to learn from others mistakes for a change)

http://www.spaz.org/~clang/zinebiofuel.html

I could go on and on... but I won't

cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
lancer - 4/2/2005 9:52 PM

Robert, thanks for the response. I am going to wait until Stevenpfaff does his testing with the WVO and diesel mixing. If mixing the two is bad, why have I heard that the WVO is GOOD for your engine as a lubricant and a cleaner for the fuel system? In the Greater Chicagoland area, there are no BD destributers. I wish I had the space and knowledge to brew my own BD, but alas, I do not. I looked at the set up, and it really looked complicated (at least for me). What do you think about using #2 fuel oil? And for what it's worth, I LOVE Willie...
Did you look at the links I left?!!! There are dozens of biodiesel distributors in the Chicago area, including at least one IN Chicago! Here's a list of all distributors in IL.
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/distributors/showstate.asp?st=IL
Here is a map of all distributors across the U.S.
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/distributors/default.shtm

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Don't know about WVO, but I threw a gallon of fresh veggie oil in the tank yesterday when I filled up and there seems to be noticable differences.

First, you can smell the difference. Still has the diesel smell, but not quite as offensive.

Second, it may be my imagination, but it does seem to run a little smoother and quieter. Before adding the oil, there was something I can only describe as a cross between a buzzing noise and a rapid valve tap noise with part throttle operation. This is no longer present.

I don't notice any power difference one way or the other.

The one thing it is doing it didn't do before is when reving the engine with no load it will not return to idle. The linkage is at the idle position, but the engine sure isn't. I had to push the stop lever to bring it back down. Before it was slow to return to idle, but now won't come back at all with no load.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If you have updated to a new primer pump (Bosch) would different fuels like WVO or BD be ok to use? Or do you have to revert back to the old style, OEM pump?

I heard that BD fuels are a no-no for the new style primer pump.

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
I have the new style pump, but I fail to understand what this would do with anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts