Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in a place right now (Phoenix, AZ) where gasoline is a hard to come by comodity let alone getting premium gasoline. People are in panic mode -there are lines at the pumps and places are running out as soon as the tanker pulls up and refills them. It is ridiculous. All due to a pipeline rupture to one of the main lines in Tucson, AZ.

I hear that it is ok to use regular unleaded gas temporarily and that the engine will adjust. Any opinions on this. Of course this may become a moot issue if the craziness in Phoenix ends soon.
Thanks!

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I think the C320 can handle it as many people put regular in their loaners. Check with the dealer, they have ECU settings for various octanes. By setting this in the ECU it will change the spark advance curve to keep your engine and you happy. If you wait for safety mechanism like knock sensors, the ECU will pull back timing a lot and slow you down big time to save itself, that's why it's better to have the dealer set this option.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I think the C320 can handle it as many people put regular in their loaners. Check with the dealer, they have ECU settings for various octanes. By setting this in the ECU it will change the spark advance curve to keep your engine and you happy. If you wait for safety mechanism like knock sensors, the ECU will pull back timing a lot and slow you down big time to save itself, that's why it's better to have the dealer set this option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts