Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started running denatured moonshine in my car. I am not running it in the gas tank but using an older type water vapor injection system from thefirst oil crisis. The car seems more responsive I am hopeing it gets me better gas mileage ot at minimumn allows me to continue running 87 octane in a euro. So far no pinging and i am running 87 octane fuel without any additives. I couldn't find methanol but ethanol is has about the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
got any pic of the setup?

Where is your still?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's dark out now will post some pics tomorrow. I bought a gallon of 100% denatured ethanol at local boat shop (West Marine). Ethanol is use to thin shallac and clean stuff you can also find it at hardware stores but marina was closer to me. If you can't find it that way, another source is the marine stove fuel it too is 100% denatured ethanol. The patent below calls for Methanol but Methanol has property of stripping protective layer of oxidation on aluminium. Also only methanol I could fine was at hobby shop and it came with 20% nitromethane. Or E85 which is not soluble in water so I couldn't use it in my application. I was thinking of also experimenting with acetone (nail polish remover) also suggested to increase mileage.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
My ex-wife's grandfather operated a still during prohibition. He ran the delivery car on pure moonshine.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moonshine about 107-109 octane I am sure it help outrun the FEDs :thumbsup: back in twentys all that would be needed is to open the jets on the carb.

You can still do that today operate a still for fuel but you need to denature it so it's not drickable and you need to get a license from ATF

Update it's finally getting warmer here up to 69 degrees, ran car with AC on still no pinging or lack of performance.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bought the actual unit Called "Mark V" shown on the patent by API industries a few years ago on Ebay for 9.99 plus shipping but you can make one yourself I searched the internet and found this mother earth article:

Ron Novak's Do-It-Yourself Water Injection System

It like the samething except the commercial one had a check valve in the vacumn line to prevent air going into bottle if there was a backfire.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually I am dispensing ethanol,
(ethanol's octane rating is 129 (RON), 102 (MON), which equates to 116 ,(Ron+Mon)/2 or (R+M)/2. water also helps slow ombustion process. My euro should be running 93 (R+M)/2 octane but that's $4.15 a gallon. With the water vapor and ethanol mixture I havent had one single ping. When I first dropped to 87 I was pinging on takeoff. My odometer is not working so I don't know about mpg savings is if any. I do know I am saving by not having to pay the extra 30 cents for 93 fuel. There is not a drop in performance at all when compared to straight 93 fuel. Granted ethanol cost me $16 a gallon, $1 per 8 ounces will last me about two tankfulls. Cost is 50 cents per tank and it saves me $6.00 per tank to run 87 instead of 93.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks like a great way to make the engine run too rich.
Zedd I think you got that backwards, The system if anything creates a vacumn leak with would in return add more air into the system resulting in the mixture becoming leaner.

I did adjust the airfuel mixture after installing the device so the lean condition does not occur. However, at WOT there is no manifold vacumn and therefore no vapor addition. Are you implying that by setting the airfuel mixture at idle with the addition of water/ethanol vapor at idle when vacumn is max that the mixture will become richer at WOT when the vacumn is nill? Again I think this will result in a leaner condition. Since the intial setting is leaner and the k-jetronic system is porportional fuel control system it's logical the system will run leaner even at WOT.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Zedd just REALLY hates fuels made from anything other than dead dinosaurs.

Personally, I only run overpriced station-purchased fuels in my vehicles too, but this is interesting at least. It's cool that someone actually DID it too...

Since my diesel has become nothing more than a play-toy anymore, I think I may go ahead and try some alternative fuel sources myself.

:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts