1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz SLK 230, 2001 model, black
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running lean...Oil in loom and ECM..

Having problem to reach 100 km/h in 7-8 sec, please see link:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1608445-0-100-km-h-takes-10-a.html#post4883197

I´m about to do the ASP-pulley mod but need to have the car running as it should when stock. I cleaned the whole S/C system from oil (MAF included), changed cam mag + new sparkplugs.

Still "hitting" 100 km/h in 10 sec....:confused:

I don´t get any error codes but this message: Fuel system test completed (cloosed loop) but fault exist. Looking at my O2 sensor bank 1 it goes up and down all the time, even at idle (between 0.1 V -> 0.75V) and it shows that the engine is running lean. About to change the fuel filter but what else can cause the engine running lean (fuel pump) ?

What fuel presure should a stock car have? Could it still be a malfunction MAF?

Afraid to do the ASP pulley mod now because that would force more air to the engine and that should make the engine running more lean (I guess).

Please help, I´m getting fead up with this car.....:mad:

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
did you check your fuel trims using the OBD2 tool? long term fuel trim must not be over +10% or under -10%...

8.6sec 0-100 for a SLK200
7.2sec is "normal" 0-100 for a stock automatic SLK230
6.9sec 0-100 for a SLK320
5.2sec 0-100 for a SLK32

note this is 0-100km/h or 0-62mph

a pulley kit alone will drop it by one whole second (approx) and you should be getting 6.2-6.3sec or around there.

are you using a proper timing device or using a stopwatch? best way to launch is turn traction control OFF, put car in 4, push brake down with other foot, rev to around 1000rpm. then lift the foot off the brake while pushing the accelerator fully down with the other foot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you check your fuel trims using the OBD2 tool? long term fuel trim must not be over +10% or under -10%...
Subby, Yes I used a OBD2 tool but I don´t remember the long term fuel trim now. Should the O2 sensor bank 1 pending all the time between 0.1 to 0.75 V at idle? Feels like it should be steady sometimes at idle (warm-up engine).

I have all graphs at home. I will post them later to see if You expert can help me figure out what causes my car running bad....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still 10 sec to reach 100km/h...:(

And here are the numbers & graphs....

I´m reaching ~85km/h in 7,5 sec then the car need to shift from 2 to 3 gear which makes me lose 2,5 sec to reach the final 15 km to 100km/h.

The test is done whit the ESP engage, Tomorrow I will test what you, Subby, explained above, ie trying with the ESP disengaged.
Still haven´t change the fuelfilter and still having the "running lean warning".

Can anybody see if some numbers are outside normal limits, please help:bowdown:

I´m afraid to do the ASP pulley mod before knowing that the stock car is performing normal.

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
100% it is leaning out... Looking when you go max rpm the long term and short term fuel trims are positive numbers +7.0 indicating it's trying to correct by adding more fuel. This shows there's a restriction like dirty injectors or fuel filter. I would run a tank of fresh high octane fuel 98ron with a bottle of good injector cleaner and drive until tank is nearly empty and then change the fuel filter... Don't change it before only after doing this as sometimes those cleaners bring up more gunk from the tank and dirty the fuel filter, so do it after this

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100% it is leaning out... Looking when you go max rpm the long term and short term fuel trims are positive numbers +7.0 indicating it's trying to correct by adding more fuel. This shows there's a restriction like dirty injectors or fuel filter. I would run a tank of fresh high octane fuel 98ron with a bottle of good injector cleaner and drive until tank is nearly empty and then change the fuel filter... Don't change it before only after doing this as sometimes those cleaners bring up more gunk from the tank and dirty the fuel filter, so do it after this
Thanx Subby, will do that. Strange enough I was looking in the WIS how to take apart the injectors to be able to clean them up but perhaps a injector cleaner will do the job.

If not, is taking the injectors apart difficult? I can see that You need to release the fuel pressure at the end of the pipe but after that than it seems like simple mechanic job. Have You done it?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
yes i have removed injectors in mine... not a difficult job. release pressure on fuel rail (or if the car hasnt been driven in few hrs dont need to do this). and undo the 2 or 3 bolts holding the rail on, take the rail off and then take injectors off.

one tip is to spray "wd-40" or some sort of spray used to penetrate rusted bolts. spray this around where the injector goes into the intake manifold. it makes them easier to come out as the rubber hardens up over time. let it soak for 15min or so.

just wiggle it back and forth slowly as you pull and they all come out.

i took my injectors to get professionally cleaned and serviced. it cost me about $10 per injector to get ultrasonicly cleaned and rebuilt. (new seals etc).

but yeh replace fuel filter immediatly after cleaning them, as if there are contaminants, you dont want them clogging injectors again.

cleaning my injectors made a massive difference to idle smoothness and power delivery, very very smooth....!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I´m still running lean??

Added injection cleaner into the fuel tank and droved until the tank was almost empty and also changed the fuel filter today but I can not still see any changes on the new graphs. To my knowleadge I´m still running lean or I´m mistaken the graphs, please see attachment.

Still not having any codes but the car is not running as it should. Could it be MAF or could one of the O2-sensor be faulty without throwing a CEL-code?

I´ve acess to a small ultrasonic cleaner at my job but I don´t think it´s the injectors which causes the problem.

Sometimes I´m getting a "pending" code p0234 when the car is standing still which indicates that something is wrong, but what?

I´m running out of options to finding what causes poor acc.

What should I try to do next.....:(

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
Turbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition
What does this mean?

OBD Code P0234 refers to
The PCM disables (bypasses) the supercharger boost and sets a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to keep from damaging the powertrain (engine or transmission) during potential harmful operating conditions.

Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0234
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0234
- Brake torque (brake on and throttle at wide open). - Transmission oil temperature (TOT) exceeds calibrated threshold. - Engine over temperature. - Ignition misfire exceeds the calibrated threshold. - Knock sensor (KS) failure

Possible Solutions

Check for other diagnostic trouble codes accompanying P0234, or check appropriate and available PIDs related to the above possible causes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Will this never end...?

Cleared the codes and have been driving the car a couple of days and possible feeling the power coming back after replacing the fuel filter.

Also drove the car fast on the freeway (190 km/h) and did the 0-100km/h-acc-test. The car did welll (~7.5 sec) so everything was good. Driving home I did a one more 0-100km/h-acc-test and once more time the car performed well.

Scanned the car for trouble codes when reaching home and found out that the CEL was on with the worst code of them all , P0243 (as I can understand from reading some threads).....:(

Freeze frame data:
Fuel system 1 status: Open loop control due to driving conditions
Calculated load: 85,8%
Coolant temperature: 88 deg C (190,4 deg F)
Short term feul trim bank 1: 0,00%
Long term fuel trim bank 1: 7,81 % Rich (+)
Engine speed: 4507 rpm
Vehicle speed: 106 km/h (66Mph)

I have recently cleaned the whole air-forced-system (including intercooler, cleaning the SC, taking off the muffler in the SC and so on).
Where do I go from here? Cleaned the MAF a couple of times but perhaps it´s time to replace it. The part is ridiculously expensive in Sweden, ie 690 USD..:eek:
Or is the air bypass valve faulty?

I´m realy getting fed up with this car....:mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wastegate solenoid A vs. B...?

More trial & error testing.

Disconnected the harness to the air-bypass-valve which is at the SC and got a pending code: P0247 Turbocharger Wastegate Soleniod B malfunction

Reconnected it and the code P0247 disappeared.

Does this mean that "Wastegate soleniod B" is the air-pass-valve at the SC
and "Wastegate soleniod A" is the air-pass-valve/throttle after the MAF?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,707 Posts
the first code is tripped when you disconnect the solenoid indicating its not connected... the second code is

looks like bypass valve is faulty... can take it apart and re-touch any dry solder joints to it.

Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid "A"
What does this mean?

OBD Code P0243 refers to
The PCM monitors the supercharger (boost) bypass (SCB) solenoid circuit for an electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified SCB solenoid duty cycle (100% or 0%) by PCM command.

Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0243

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0243

- VPWR circuit open to SCB solenoid. - SCB solenoid circuit shorted to PWR GND or CHASSIS GND. - Damaged SCB solenoid. - SCB solenoid circuit open. - SCB solenoid circuit shorted to VPWR. - Damaged

Possible Solutions
Disconnect SCB solenoid. Connect test lamp to SCB solenoid harness connector. Cycle SCB driver in PCM by Output Test Mode. Test lamp cycle on and off - SCB solenoid is suspect. Test lamp always on - SCB signal short in harness or PCM. Test always off - SCB signal or VPWR open in harness or PCM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subby,
I don´t have any test lamp (not sure if it´s possible to get one) but is the test you reffering to the same as this P0243 test?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1628382-frustrating-troubleshooting-p0243-p0410-codes-2.html#post5066741

Possible Solutions
Disconnect SCB solenoid. Connect test lamp to SCB solenoid harness connector. Cycle SCB driver in PCM by Output Test Mode. Test lamp cycle on and off - SCB solenoid is suspect. Test lamp always on - SCB signal short in harness or PCM. Test always off - SCB signal or VPWR open in harness or PCM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even more trouble......

:mad: ...NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .......:mad:

Were about to measure the harness connection at the air-bypass-valve but just hit me that my cam shaft mag had leaked oil. I undo the same harness at the other end, ie the connection at the ECM and found......OIL....:crybaby2:

Removed the ECM and cleaned it with cotton and toothpicks so hopefully the ECM will work again but this probably explain why I`ve had all this issues with no power. fault codes (P0243, P0234) and so on.
The loom/harness is probably useless and no idea to clean so what is the partno of the loom on a facelift 2001 230slk?

How fun is it to spent some more money on this car....:mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts