Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
My 4'11" wife loves the running boards on our new 05 500SE. They're a bit of a bear to keep clean (black) but I think they not only make the truck look lower, but seem to be an integral part of the body. I think the chrome ones look like something you'd buy from a parts store, and bolted on as an after thought! Just my 2 cents!!! [8D]

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also like the running boards but I've always been impressed with the chrome running boards from the dealer not the aftermarket ones from a parts store these were over 600.00 bucks. I saw a website that has the running boards and was just wondering if it was worth getting them. My 1999 has the chrome on them now. Anyone interested in these chrome ones if I decide to get the running boards?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
None at all. Running boards are just a nuisance on an ML. More effort to get in and out as you just have to step over them, and they just end up getting your pants dirty as your leg invariably rubs them.

DelJ

pize98 - 3/20/2005 6:43 PM

Which Running Boards you like the best? The polished steel ones or the newer style that they are putting on the 2005 Special Editions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First post here; I use the ML off road and personally prefer the bars to the boards for that reason, also the stainless steel is easier to clean than the black and works ok with a polar white vehicle.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
We each have an ML for our own reasons. Mine is my "superspeedway car" pavement only---freeways, and interstate highways. If I used it off-road I would agree that the tubular metal boards would be my choice too. I like the AWD for safety on wet, or god forbid--snowy roads. I still have my GM FWD Blazer should I have a need to go off-road!! [8D]

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
586 Posts
BAR BAR BAR!!, I'm baised though I guess, I have the tubular bars without the steps, I guess those are a hot commodeity because when I was looking for a replacement I was contemplating getting the bar with steps (only ones available now) and I received many PM's about buying my old bars

bars = sporty
board = minivan

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Actually if you step on them rather than over them when exiting the vehicle, you will not have a problem. This is what I have always have done and have never had a problem.

DelJ - 3/21/2005 7:24 AM

None at all. Running boards are just a nuisance on an ML. More effort to get in and out as you just have to step over them, and they just end up getting your pants dirty as your leg invariably rubs them.

DelJ

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
There is no reason for anyone taller than a hobbit to need a step to get into or out of an M-class. Running boards on smaller (garageable) SUVs are just for looks, just like those silly 'grille guard' bars that are installed on the front end.

DelJ

Drew - 3/21/2005 12:51 PM

Actually if you step on them rather than over them when exiting the vehicle, you will not have a problem. This is what I have always have done and have never had a problem.

DelJ - 3/21/2005 7:24 AM

DelJ

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
DelJ - 3/21/2005 5:18 PM

There is no reason for anyone taller than a hobbit to need a step to get into or out of an M-class. Running boards on smaller (garageable) SUVs are just for looks, just like those silly 'grille guard' bars that are installed on the front end.

DelJ
Well that is a bit of a generalisation. I am 5'9" and yet I like having the sidesteps. It also makes it easier for older folks to get in/out off. The sidesteps also offer some door ding protectionas they stick out past the body by 5-6". Finally loading skis or whatever else is a lot easier with the steps and running boards!

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with drew. I think I'm gonna keep the step bars I have on the truck. thanks for the replys

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I have a C280 parked next to my ML430 in my garag and the difference in step-in height is only about two inches. Also, the M-class has a flat floor which makes it even easier. My wife and I just don't have an issue with the M-class step-in height.

It would be great if running boards did protect vehicles from door dings, but they usually don't unless one has lifted truck. You are right about reaching the roof rack.

Running boards are just more trouble than help for me. I wouldn't have them even if they were at no cost.

DelJ

Drew - 3/22/2005 12:58 PM

I am 5'9" and yet I like having the sidesteps. It also makes it easier for older folks to get in/out off. The sidesteps also offer some door ding protectionas they stick out past the body by 5-6". Finally loading skis or whatever else is a lot easier with the steps and running boards!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I also have the "Chrome" step bars, and I think they look good with the "Black" ML.

Mothers Chrome Polish is a good way to keep them from rusting, and spotting when they get wet.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
like drew said it helps my wifes mother get in and out of the truck and also my kids.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I don't know about you, but I am not thinking about what would be good for my mother-in-law when I am buying a new car... :)

Seriously, 9 out 10 people who buy running boards and such are doing so only for cosmetic purposes. I am not saying that looking good is bad, except when the add-on gets in my way.

DelJ

pize98 - 3/23/2005 1:26 PM

like drew said it helps my wifes mother get in and out of the truck and also my kids.

·
Registered
2008 C300
254 Posts
When I had my ML, I got the side steps with grips because my pregnant wife was having a problem getting into the truck. That alone was worth the cost. Also, they saved me against some door dings. This was evident by the ocassionally new scrapes of color on the steps.

Now...if only they were the cure for the other problems I had, I'd still be driving the ML today. [:D]

·
Registered
2004 ML270CDi
14 Posts
It's got to be chrome bars. They do protect the bodywork. On a narrow road I got too close to a bank at the side of the road, there was a big rock in there bot my bar pushed me off it. Result, dent in the bar and not the bodywork. A runningboard would have been shredded. The do also protect the doors against careless car owners. Remember here in the UK we have narrow parking spaces.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (Sold)
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
easy DelJ who said anything about I bought my ML because of my mother in law. I havent seen anyone on this subject but yourself saying you dont like running boards so you made your point you dont like running boards. You trying to make me feel bad that I have running boards have you seen my ML lets see yours and compare who likes what the best dont be shy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts