Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1993 300TE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam looking to get a mvi done so that i can leave off where the former owner or owners has left off in terms of servicing and or repairs.This would also tell me how well cared for the car was with the original owners.

Does anybody have access to provide a mvi for me or what shop can do it?

Is this accessable only thru dealers or can indy shop perform this job.

What is the purpose of an mvi if only the dealer has access and are not willing to offer it to the current owner because of the privacy act.

I am looking for previous maintenance,repairs etc.Not owners address' phone numbers licenses locations,or genders

· Registered
5,343 Posts
You may be thinking of the VMI, vehicle master inquiry. It doesn't cover service work but only warranty and goodwill work, that is, work paid for by the factory or the dealer. Any dealer can access a VMI for any car regardless of where the work was performed. There shouldn't be any privacy issues relating to it because it's not paid by the customer. I've never had any trouble getting VMIs but dealer and individual policies about it can vary, often out of ignorance.

Service records are something else entirely - paid by the customer, and exist only in the records of the dealer that performed the service. This is more of a privacy issue and most dealers won't give them out without the permission of the previous owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.