Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put on run-flat tires to get more room in the trunk?<br>
<br>
I've read lots of posts about trunk space, remove spare, fix-a-flat, etc. But wondering about the performance/expense of run-flat tires.<br>
<br>
I heard that the new unoriginal Lexus SC430 has this as an option and it seems appealing at first thought.<br>
<br>
-Matt

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problems with run-flats...

As far as I am aware, the Corvette is the only car that comes ONLY with run-flats - no spare option. It has some drawbacks:<br>
• wheel sensors are required - expensive, complicated, read-out req. in car; something more to break or fail at a bad time.<br>
<br>
• sidewalls are super stiff (must be able to support car at 50 mph for 50 miles with no air!) ride is much degraded from standard tires. Handling performance is not nearly as good as high quality<br>
non run-flat tires.<br>
<br>
• expensive & not as readily available when you need them for replacement in a hurray (on a trip)<br>
<br>
The 2001 Z06 Corvette does NOT use the run-flats... they carry no spare & rely on inflator goo/pump. (and lots of prayer!) But, oh the performance!!!! YEEEHAAAAA<br>
<br>
HarleyB my $.02 (this will be $.04 when we get the tax cut!)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problems are

that run flat tires are expensive and require a tire pressure monitoring system.<br>
<br>
Plus they are heavy tires and will diminish performance.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its "unoriginal" yet its option seems "appealing?" am i the only onw who noticed this? sory just my

thoughts

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unoriginal

Sorry about your confusion. <br>
<br>
I was making a joke that the hardtop convertible Lexus SC430 is unoriginal.<br>
<br>
-Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone put on run-flat tires to get more room in the trunk?<br>
<br>
I've read lots of posts about trunk space, remove spare, fix-a-flat, etc. But wondering about the performance/expense of run-flat tires.<br>
<br>
I heard that the new unoriginal Lexus SC430 has this as an option and it seems appealing at first thought.<br>
<br>
-Matt
I have a 2017 E300. As soon as these tires wear down they will be history. The ride with these tires is TERRIBLE Why did Mercedes-Benz put these on a luxury car baffles me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 E300. As soon as these tires wear down they will be history. The ride with these tires is TERRIBLE Why did Mercedes-Benz put these on a luxury car baffles me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts