Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears from a posting over on Torstens board that the Tyre pressure sensors may be on all vehicles whether you ordered this option or not.

So therefore it could be activated via the Star Diagnostic System in the same way as the Rain Sensing wipers!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
RE: Rumour is the Tire pressure sensor is in all cars whether you ordered it or not...

Has this been tested? The reason I ask is that I thought the sensors were fitted onto the valves - or at least I seem to remember the sensors being visible on the wheel from what I can remember on the SL.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
RE: Rumour is the Tire pressure sensor is in all cars whether you ordered it or not...

It was £50 on my car - I think it was worth the money.

If it is just an option on the computer to turn it on then I guess it is good value compared with the £90 for the Rain sensing wipers.
Paid for the wipers too, and got to use them for the first time today.

I think manufacturers will build more features into their cars and then charge to activate them as MB do here.

Probably a good thing as enabling the option after purchase is easy and quick to do although the price can seem high for toggling a software switch.
Of course the manufacturers run the risk of someone working out how to activate the features and undercutting them on price.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts

It's not actually a sensor as such - the ABS and traction control sensors monitor the rpm of each wheel - this combined with the steering angle sensor allows the system to decide if one wheel has got reduced pressure - i.e. the circumference is less so rpm goes up - then informs you your pressure is reduced, therefore ALL slk's must have it built into the firmwhere - I'm just not sure where it informs you - in one of the didgy displys, seperate warning light or on the COMAND screen - I think STAR Diagnosis could activate it on all our cars.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts

It appears as a reset option on the "multi function display". Since I have never had a warning from it I can only guess it would also appear on the multifunction display as an error message as a malfunction, though personally I paid hoping for a big fat warning if I lose tyre pressure so that I dont get a blowout.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts

Go on, let one of you tires down a bit, go for a gentle spin & see what happens[:0][:0]

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
67 Posts

Woolly - 4/27/2005 5:56 AM

It's not actually a sensor as such - the ABS and traction control sensors monitor the rpm of each wheel - this combined with the steering angle sensor allows the system to decide if one wheel has got reduced pressure - i.e. the circumference is less so rpm goes up - then informs you your pressure is reduced, therefore ALL slk's must have it built into the firmwhere - I'm just not sure where it informs you - in one of the didgy displys, seperate warning light or on the COMAND screen - I think STAR Diagnosis could activate it on all our cars.
Ahh... I seen something on this a couple of days ago ... I now remember where ... "Fifth Gear" - 4/19/2004 - Just happens to be the episode with a review of the SLK!

After the Firestone problems in the US, they (the great US of A) legislated (THE TREAD LAW) that all new vehicles have to have either a pressure gauge or a low pressure alert. So, from the quote above, that would cover the low pressure alert, but I believe that to get the actual tyre pressure, there has to be a pressure gauge inside the rim, that transmits the reading to the car.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts

Phill B - 4/27/2005 7:12 AM

all new vehicles have to have either a pressure gauge or a low pressure alert. I believe that to get the actual tyre pressure, there has to be a pressure gauge inside the rim, that transmits the reading to the car.
Pressure gauge inside the tyre, thats the one I would have liked to see

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts

joyfulheart - 4/27/2005 5:55 PM

Phill B - 4/27/2005 7:12 AM

all new vehicles have to have either a pressure gauge or a low pressure alert. I believe that to get the actual tyre pressure, there has to be a pressure gauge inside the rim, that transmits the reading to the car.
Pressure gauge inside the tyre, thats the one I would have liked to see
Hi your Joyfulness - don't tar me with that brush - [:(!] the way you've quoted it looks like I've said there was a transducer in the rim[:0]

·
Registered
237 Posts

My 98 vette the sensors inside the rims. Would tell you the pressure at every tire. Tire shops hated them because it was a bitch to remount tires and not damage or break the sensor. They needed to know what they were doing. It was a nice feature. Wife Infinity had them too. She had a sensor go bad and need to be replaced. Showed low pressure when it was fine

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts

Woolly - 4/27/2005 2:59 PM
Hi your Joyfulness - don't tar me with that brush - [:(!] the way you've quoted it looks like I've said there was a transducer in the rim[:0]
?? I was not being sarcastic, I would have liked to get a read out of the pressure in each tyre. It is something I worry about from time to time, especially when I havent checked it for a couple of months. Now is a case in point. I have never checked the pressure on my SLK, with a readout I could know its OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts