Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am new to this site and was wondering if someone can help me I have a 1992 Mercedes 500sel with 105,000km or 65,000 miles. Just recently I have noticed a small rumbling vibration noise which appears to be coming from the rear. I do not notice it at lower speeds but appears to be more noticeable around 100km or 60 miles an hour. The other thing thing I noticed is as long I press on the gas petal slighty the problem disappears only there when I do not press the gas pedal at 100km per hour or so. The other thing I tried is putting the car in neutral but the rumble vibration was still there. I also changed the tires and rims with spare ones I have and still did not ferris of this vibration. Can anyone assist me as to what would be the cause of this?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Hi there I am new to this site and was wondering if someone can help me I have a 1992 Mercedes 500sel with 105,000km or 65,000 miles. Just recently I have noticed a small rumbling vibration noise which appears to be coming from the rear. I do not notice it at lower speeds but appears to be more noticeable around 100km or 60 miles an hour. The other thing thing I noticed is as long I press on the gas petal slighty the problem disappears only there when I do not press the gas pedal at 100km per hour or so. The other thing I tried is putting the car in neutral but the rumble vibration was still there. I also changed the tires and rims with spare ones I have and still did not ferris of this vibration. Can anyone assist me as to what would be the cause of this?
Sounds like a wheel bearing or Rear differential..jack it up and spin each wheel and you might find out the problem..

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply I was thinking something in the rear end never thought of a wheel bearing because it goes away if you slighty press on the gas but certainly an easy thing to check

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Thank you for your reply I was thinking something in the rear end never thought of a wheel bearing because it goes away if you slighty press on the gas but certainly an easy thing to check
Good point, a wheel bearing would be more constant..

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other thing tonote is that I donor notice it when I go over or under the 100 km per hour it appears to be around the 100km per hour speed and again at 100km per hour I can get rid of it by just slightly pressing the gas pedal as welli tried neutral at 100km per hour and it still is there not sure what in the differential would do that?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you never thought of that it might be a cheap fix . I just flushed out the collant today actually never thought or knew you can flush out the rear end maybe it might be low in fluid although I believe it to be a heavy weight lube in the rear end and this likely has never been done in20 years?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts