Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that fell off. Not sure how much are where I could easily buy a replacement. Generally would prefer an original mercedes part than a knock off brand but I guess it doesn't really matter. My star also fell off. I was polishing the car with a dual action polisher and accidentally bumped into it and tore it right off. Is that easy to replace? Where could I also find a genuine replacement for that?t

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are you talking the center bumper insert?

With or with out hitch the factory with hitch are rare.

They can be ordered on line but they are color specific (no painting) and some are discontinued. If with factory hitch you may want to go on line dealer and order a new one even though it needs repainting.

As to the star front or back?

Most folks tend to try pick apart yards but the bumper covers are the first items to go. When we purchased the 350 it needed a bumper old cracked and the insert coves were gone. We found a good bumper all the covers missing. Just last week the pick a part yard had new silver 350, we walked over to it, from the side saw the bumper was there. Walked around all covers gone, the car was there a week. If you have a hitch bear in mind the Benz hitch mounts lower then say a Draw Tite. I just pulled a Benz hitch and had the choice or both. But even on the dealer installed benz hitch the cover on the car was cut when the hitch was installed.

An 99-01 cover is different.
What color?

So dealer get your part number from link search dealer with best price.
pick a part
or Ebay

·
Registered
185 Posts
For the tow hitch cover, just google genuine mercedes-benz tow hitch cover BQ631-00-05. Amazon has OEM ones for $31.74 here. The emblem for the front of the hood is $25.63 (new, OEM) here. I sell them used on eBay for $12.99 here (you can make offers as well).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Are you taking about the plastic fascia cover that goes over the Factory bolted on tow hitch ?

My ML500 came without it. You could see the hitch & several inches on either side & above too.

Which one is that in the diagram you posted - it wasn't clear if # 3 or 8 ? It's a curved plastic piece about 6-8" wide and about that tall, from memory.

FYI, I carefully cut a hole slightly larger than hitch throat, and painted it to match MB color with rattle can, then trimmed edge in black molding. It looks really factory or how I assume factory should look.

It really makes the ML look more finished from rear with it & messy without.

That plastic part was $ 130 in 2016 best price I could find. So, those part prices are better in any case.

Cheers - David

·
Registered
351 Posts
Which one is that in the diagram you posted - it wasn't clear if # 3 or 8 ? It's a curved plastic piece about 6-8" wide and about that tall, from memory.

Cheers - David

David since I am the only one that posted a diagram, I am thinking your asking me?

I should of explained a bit better. When we got the replacement bumper it had the center receiver hitch cover.

What we are still missing is what Mercedes calls the tow cover, or the cover that hides the tow loop ( I think there is only one loop) as well as the attachment screws. There are 2 covers one on the left and right. So I am guessing Number 3 on the diagram. Mercedes still has them but they are 30.00 per in silver. I paid 46.00 for the used bumper. LOL

The diagram is confusing since it covers regular and sport versions.

Some what related to the above is the tire carrier. When the old cover was damage the previous owner must of damaged the carrier, as it was missing. Just last night my daughter and I installed one we picked up at a pick apart. I got it on, the way you remove it is pull out the driver side spring clip. Slide the tube into the driver side hole all the way. This frees the passenger side, swing it down, then pull out the tube out the driver side. But you either need to break the plastic insert frame bushing out or pry it out and slide it down the driver side tube towards the middle. This makes the frame hole bigger so you get the angle to pull it out. Install is reverse.

Why I mentioned all the above is this: got it in, fussed with the bushing a bit, put the spring clip in the hole, put the tire on then realize the welded frame nut is missing, the one welded to the bumper. The one that really holds the carrier up. The only thing holding it up now is the spring clasp. So trying to figure a way to get a fastener back in place? One of those times I wish I weld.

If I remove the carrier now I am afraid I will break the plastic bushing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a rubber hitch cover like this: Genuine MB Hitch Cover
Not the bumper piece you have to remove to access the spare tire.

Mine has a metal hitch cover from the dealer that originally sold the car. I like it better than the rubber type, it's held on with a bolt so it doesn't fall off. Your dealer probably sells something similar.

The star... which one???

IMG_3443.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Heres the part I was referring to and about which I thought you referred to...
20190911_163716.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Heres the part I was referring to and about which I thought you referred to... View attachment 2603781
Yes I did say when we found the bumper all the covers were missing I miss spoke, we have that one. Just could not remember which bumper it came from. It was missing when we brought the car, and the replacement had one. I reserved it in my head.

Still missing the two smaller left and right ones. But you did what I was thinking, not sure which ML I am putting the hitch on yet but thinking of painting the receiver the body color so it does not stand out as much.

May go back and get the other hitch and just do both, 26.00 the price can't be beat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
wallyo
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing