Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have the rubber floor mats on top of my regular OEM carpet. The rubber mats are very dirty and today I used soap and water to clean them. The problem is when they dried they were still very dirty with dry, tacked on mud and dirt that I can't seem to get off. Anyone know how to properly clean them?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I have the OEM mats also, but they have never gotten that dirty. However, the last time I had a detail shop clean the rubber mats on another car of mine, they sprayed them with a degreasing solution, let that soak for a few minutes, then they sprayed them off with just a garden-pressure water hose. They then looked practically as good as they did when I bought them about 14 years ago!

Something as simple as mud should come off with soap/water and a stiff scrub brush. Are you sure that is only mud?

Hope this helps,
M

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would let them soak in warm/hot water for about an hour. That should soften the caked mud. Then wash with Simple Green or any all purpose cleaner. As mentioned above, if you have a pressure washer that should do it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll try soaking them. I rubbed soap and water with my high powered hose and after it dried it looked dusty still. I have OEM mats too and scrubbing inbetween the honeycombs is a pain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I soaked them in hot/warm water for about 20-22 minutes and I scrubbed them. Frustratingly (idk if thats even a word but w/e) They remain dirty. I spend so much time trying to clean them but they still are so damn dirty, IDK what to do? Will tire cleaner help because they are both rubber...

·
Registered
64 Posts
WhyteML,

Try looking on the Autopia detailing forum for better suggestions. Be prepared to search a bit. You could try the tire cleaner or degreaser on a small unobtrusive area as a test (perhaps a single honeycomb near an edge).

Good Luck,
Glenn

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also have the OEM mats. I have had good results by spraying on some Kleen Green, water and then scrubbing the mats with a fairly had scrubbing brush. Came out looking like new.

Greg

·
Registered
745 Posts
WhyteML said:
Hey guys. I have the rubber floor mats on top of my regular OEM carpet. The rubber mats are very dirty and today I used soap and water to clean them. The problem is when they dried they were still very dirty with dry, tacked on mud and dirt that I can't seem to get off. Anyone know how to properly clean them?
Hey WhyteML,

I've used Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl/Rubber cleaner for the past several years with great results. It is typically found at Auto Paint Supply stores that normally sell to body shops, detailers, etc. I don't know what's in this stuff, but it works; spray on, let sit for a few minutes, brush lightly on stubborn spots, wipe or hose off. The other post about applying a surface protectant, either 303 or Meguire's is a good idea.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
After cleaning give them a good coat of Zaino Tire and Rubber dressing. Makes them look brand new every time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
S.A.MobileDetail said:
What works great for us is Simple Green, let it soak for a few, scrub and power wash.
The winter took a beating on mine. I think i will try your simple green idea, good stuff. Do you powerwash them or just reg. pressure?

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
My regular OEM MB carpet floor mats that came w/ the car held up very well for six years, but the last couple of times they got washed left them loose and they now bunch-up when feet push them. This is a real pain now, and I was wondering if there is any way to rejuvenate them or do I have to buy new ones. I never liked the plastic stuff and don't mind replacing the carpet ones if I have to. Six years isn't bad. They still "look" good, but the bunching-up crap is getting annoying. Anyone else experience this? Any fixes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Jayhawk
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing