Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's how you remove the driver's side knee pad...for those who were wondering. It might help to hold your other hand against the lower dash as you pull. But that's how I removed mine. A good, strong tug.

Darn thing shouldn't have been in there in the first place! I had a similar collision knee bolster in my '75 Rabbit. Out it came, too. (Probably worth a mint today as a collector's item -- that car was some sort of experimental oddball.)

Disclaimer: Your results may vary. Although mine pulled out relatively cleanly...I can't guarantee yours!

...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
WOW,
I'm 6-4 and my knees don't even get close to it.

Is your seat down and back all the way?

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My seat sure is back and down all the way. Perhaps I have long legs. There have been number complaints by folks who are 6'+ tall that the bolster gets in the way.

Do you have non-power seats? Perhaps they offer more room.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
You must have long legs....................

I'm 6'1" in almost every direction, I have 3/4" clearance on my left knee, and 1 1/2" clearance on my right knee...........[:D]
I don't think I would remove that pad if I did touch anyway, I'd rather crush the pad then my knee in an accident.... of course that's only my take on it...[:)]

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG Designo
844 Posts
I guess this must be some Ralph Nader inspired thing for the US market as I can find no such pad in my car....

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
nickwilcock - 4/14/2006 6:38 PM

I guess this must be some Ralph Nader inspired thing for the US market as I can find no such pad in my car....
Me neither, could someone take a pic... I'm curious to see what this looks like. [:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this refers to a previous thread, in which many folks had done this mod, much to their satisfaction...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1257664&posts=12&fid=26

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
813 Posts
RE: You must have long legs....................

Bruce R. - 4/14/2006 8:16 AM

I'd rather crush the pad then my knee in an accident.... of course that's only my take on it...[:)]
Although I don't have a dog in this fight, as I am only 5'8", I have to believe that Mercedes might have been obliged to put that pad there based on crash test results in the U.S. knowing our NHTSA. Who know's, but I aree with Bruce.

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts

Bruce R. - 4/14/2006 9:16 AM

I'm 6'1" in almost every direction, I have 3/4" clearance on my left knee, and 1 1/2" clearance on my right knee...........[:D]
I don't think I would remove that pad if I did touch anyway, I'd rather crush the pad then my knee in an accident.... of course that's only my take on it...[:)]
i am glad the car was apparently made just for you! question: why tiptoe through life only to safely arrive at death?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 M
44 Posts
I'm only 5' 8", but my beef with the d!!! bolster is the clutch side, which most of you automatic types don't have to deal with. The clutch throw on the SLK 320 is really long and with an overcentre spring, not the easiest to modulate. It would be easier to drive really smoothly if I didn't have to have the power seat all the way down to get knee clearance. It would also generally be more comfortable.
M-B has been kind enough to give me the ability to raise my seat, so I can better enjoy the view. However, to clear the stupid bolster, I have to have the seat all the way down - does that make any sense ?
Any pics of what's under the bolster ? Is it upholstered ?

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
ya the clutch action on mine isnt very good either, mushy and no cam over in the spring so its hard to hold at traffic lights. the one in my suzuki is way better! just rip that thing out you will love it!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts

question: why tiptoe through life only to safely arrive at death?
Answer: There's a big difference between dieing and getting injured to the point that you're in pain for the rest of your life. My wife has had knee surgery that didn't work out very well, I have first hand knowledge of what knee pain is, I see it every day. [B)] That's not to start a war, it's just a statement of fact. [:)]

·
Registered
99 slk230 sport
759 Posts
well then shouldnt you be driving something safer than a convertible anyway, after all, they arent as safe as many other cars right>? how about a unicycle? life is full of calculated risks but for me, i wont even waste my time calculating the potential risk of a knee injury caused by the lack of a 4 inch wide peice of plasitc that was tacked on as an aftert though to satisfy some test dummies needs when i will probably spin it off the road and roll it anyway! or even more probable just drive it a few years and sell it! i smoke a fair amount of pot but man youre PARANOID!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh...I love the smell of a good debate in the morning! [:p]

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I drive what I like to drive because it's what I like..[:)] It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to pull out something that was designed as a safety measure. If I were to use your apparent standards:
I could pull out the roll bars, because they are below my head anyway.
I could rip out the safety belts, because they don't hold me in place at 150 mph.
Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with high performance driving schools, because I think I know all there is to know about driving.
I'm not paranoid, but I know that things can happen on the road, things that are not always under my control. Why would I want to do something to the car that will cause me more damage if there is a collision?
Hey, I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest over something this trivial, it's just an opinion...[;)]

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
bodypainter - 4/15/2006 11:07 PM
This is our '98.
QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the pic Bodypainter [:)] . If it was fitted already I'd probably leave it in place, but its not something I feel compelled to try and get hold of! Besides at 6'2 I'd probably bang my knees on it anyway..[:0]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320 M
44 Posts
Just to add a bit of fuel to a very small fire - my guess is that the bolster is a North American kneejerk (pun intended) response to our attitudes against using seat belts. After all, that's how we ended up with air bags being legislated. Either that or Benz screwed up and made the dash too deep (i.e. too close to the floor).
So I'm not convinced that the device is required when combined with properly fitted and operating seat belts. Have you seen any current cars with similar devices ?
In fact, you might even argue (hypothetically) that it poses a greater risk in a collision, as it is something for the knees to hit, instead of the legs staying right under the dash without making contact with anything.
If none of the European or Australian cars have it, how important/valuable can it be ? In Europe, they are free to drive a whole lot faster than we are - hence they hit solid objects a whole lot harder.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Have you seen any current cars with similar devices ?
Yes, I have a similar setup in my '87 16 valve... [:)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts