Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Well, personally I wouldnt go for those tailights. I think the rear-end of a 129 stock looks just right. I agree with "SL BRABUS".... those kind of tailights do give the SL a "RICE" factor. I am Asian but dont get me wrong, LOL, you dont wanna do that to a Mercedes Classic. It just doesnt fit the scheme.

just my opinion at least.

·
Administrator
8,707 Posts
Not only do they look awful but they are expensive too at €500 or $760.
On top of that the buyer would have to have them painted to their car colour.

·
Registered
978 Posts
There are some very nice looking "round" parts in that picture. None of them are the tail lights! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those lamps use the generic round Hella LED taillamp units, they're used in various other similar kits, where they create a fiberglass frame and basically bolt that to the car, and the Hella lamps are attached to the fiberglass frame. Its cheap stuff, I'de never run something like that. Here's something for the MR2 using the same Hella LED arrays:

Rogue Systems - Revision6 LED Rear Lights (Rogue Motorsport)

Agh... here is a pic on-car

For those curious, here is the one we built for our MR2 customer in the UK:

I'll keep an eye open and let you guys know if we ever fabricate something for the R129.

mike / clearcorners.com

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I DON'T think to many of us here will be turning our 129's into DISCO BUGGIES in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY if I am a little opinionated on this{what else is new} I think that anyone CAUGHT with these on their car should be BANNED from here FOREVER!!!!!!!!{not really} just BEATEN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts

I DON'T think to many of us here will be turning our 129's into DISCO BUGGIES in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY if I am a little opinionated on this{what else is new} I think that anyone CAUGHT with these on their car should be BANNED from here FOREVER!!!!!!!!{not really} just BEATEN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
It all depends how its done. Newer SL's come factory with LED tail lamps. They're arranged in a way where it doesn't necessarily look like LED, but it sure performs like LED; higher light output, quicker reaction time, higher efficiency, and pure blood red color.

I can tell you right now, if we were to create a set of lights for the R129, it would be a hell of a lot of work! There is a lot of real estate to cover and that requires a significant amount of circuitry.

I just had a similar discussion with one of our customers the other day regarding an old Datsun 240Z restoration. Some forum members decided to custom-brew some circuit boards which in my opinion, looked very ratty because they skimped on the overall design. Often times, the engineers responsible for designing these parts overlook aesthetics in favor of technology - BIG MISTAKE. With all cars, you have to consider both, aesthetics and performance - and always improve them simultaneously. This should go hand-in-hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts