Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the dash lights went out again on my sons 92,have to pull the instrument cluster out,again, and check on some repair soldering I did 10 months ago,may need another cluster, or the rear mounted fuse blew,that fuse shuts off ccu,vent,window switchs,shift indicator,and other lighting
Good thing is it will come out easier the 2nd time!haha

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just pulled the cluster and found the fuse blown,resoldered it and now will reinstall,think it will work now,funny how it blew the same day I installed a new correct battery?

Attachments

·
Registered
E320 94', 158K mi
49 Posts
Hey did his center console lights as well as license plate lights happen to go out as well?
Having that issue with my 94' E320 after having replaced a blown fuse #3. Made the Exterior light failure go away but the instrument/ center and licence plate lights are still out.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I know ,the center ccu,vents window switch's,gear selector,rear window switches,illumination,and outside temp were out. all good now,who the hell is this crazy guy!!!????

Attachments

·
Registered
E320 94', 158K mi
49 Posts
Ok then. How do you know if the fuse behind the dash is bad. I pulled mine earlier today and it looked fine sounds like it could be my issue though. Ill have to check that rheostat again too. It looked fine but those might go bad over time

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well when you pull it out you should be able to see that's its blown,a continuity check with a VOM is what I use,1st time this happened 9 months ago,my fuse blew, and part of the printed circuit board was toasted,I made a jumper wire and bypassed the bad part of the board,search the topic lots of info, I had to get the schematic and study it,time consuming but fixed it!one of the members helped me out alot! total guru! cbc-atl I think?
That dumb little fuse will knock out all the dash lights,except speedo,rpm gauges,rear license plate ,something else?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I know it,that fuse in the back of cluster only affects interior illumination for nite. its there to protect some component( forgot which one?) if there's a short on that part of lighting,they also figured out if you lose that lighting,the speed,rpm,and gauges won't be affected,its on a totally different circuit,don't know why they blow? but they do,lots of posts on it.I suspected after market stereo blunder! may be a weak link,pulling the instrument cluster out is not fun!

·
Registered
E320 94', 158K mi
49 Posts
Thanks for that info. I'm an Industrial Electronic major and have had to call on a lot of my school knowledge to help me along. I've pulled several wiring diagram and am currently using them to try to get to the bottom of this. The original radio is still in the car. Now as far as speakers are concerned I'm not sure but given the previous owner, I'd imagine they are or if they were replaced, they were with something comparable.

The interesting thing is that my rear license plates lights are out too so it has to be related somehow. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think 2 separate issues here? but the schematic will tell the truth,license plate lighting comes on with the headlight switch,the feed for the cluster also come from the switch,right side of cluster has the small fuse, when that goes ,you lose the lights your talking about,except the rear lic light, yours may be diff than mine tho,91,92. E cars

1 - 10 of 10 Posts