Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the happy owner of a black on black '99 SLK 230 with 65K miles. My only complaint, its a rough start 1st thing in the morning, after that it's fine all day. It seems to turn over fine, but unless I pump the throttle a bit it sounds like it's gonna sputter out. I just put a fuel system cleaner in to try and take care of any deposits etc that may be in the engine. Anything else I should consider?

Also, where can I go for replacement tail lights? I have 2 bulbs, one on each side that won't light at all. I cleaned contacts and used known good bulbls, no luck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
I've taken the stock tail light and put conventional sockets in place of the slk sockets. Hard wired around the Benz wiring board and used 1156 bulbs/sockets. No more spark jump/burned bases on lights.....and at about $8.00 plus a little re-engineering is a good savings over $ 239.00 each from the dealer or even off of e-bay.

Regards

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Max I think you got ripped off at $235 unless that was for a pair. My parts list shows $85 each for the 98-99 and $102 each for the 00-03.

If it is your brake lights that are out it is a known problem with the socket not making good contact with the assembly causing arcing and melting. When I checked mine recently they were both melted. After I forced the socket to turn in the assembly the brake light would not work at all. I am still under warranty and MB replaced both assemblies. Check out this thread for further info on how to fix the sockets so it shouldn't happen again after you replace the assemblies: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1174293&posts=14&hl=brake+lights.

I think most people suggest trying to find a pair of assemblies on ebay but I would be careful buying used ones as they may already be damaged from the arcing. Good luck.

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16falcon - 5/1/2005 10:45 PM

Max I think you got ripped off at $235 unless that was for a pair. My parts list shows $85 each for the 98-99 and $102 each for the 00-03.

If it is your brake lights that are out it is a known problem with the socket not making good contact with the assembly causing arcing and melting. When I checked mine recently they were both melted. After I forced the socket to turn in the assembly the brake light would not work at all. I am still under warranty and MB replaced both assemblies. Check out this thread for further info on how to fix the sockets so it shouldn't happen again after you replace the assemblies: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1174293&posts=14&hl=brake+lights.

I think most people suggest trying to find a pair of assemblies on ebay but I would be careful buying used ones as they may already be damaged from the arcing. Good luck.
So would your parts price be for complete replacements?

·
Registered
1999 230SLK Sport
16 Posts
The rough starting issue has been addressed before on this forum. Try a search on it, I think it is a software issue that a dealer will have to help you with. I just live with it, it will go away when the weather evens out. I only notice it in the early fall and early spring. If you are from Allentown do you ever venture into Boyertown, just lately I've seen a car like your car around. Stay off my turf! There isn't enough room around here for any more SLKs! It's beautiful, enjoy it.

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have not been to Boyertown. Mine came from New Jersey so I doubt it would have been seen in your area before.

If there's nothing seriously wrong with it, I think I can live with it. I may go the software update route but that does not seem to be a 100% solution either.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
breauxaj - 5/1/2005 9:58 PM

Yeah, that is for the whole taillight assembly. Max told me that the $235 he quoted was for both assemblies plus installation, not bad really. I do wonder why if your sockets turn ok in the assembly, appear to be undamaged and you know you have good bulbs why they don't work. Could it be a blown fuse? I would hate for you to buy new assemblies and have them still not work.

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
16falcon - 5/2/2005 9:30 AM

breauxaj - 5/1/2005 9:58 PM

Yeah, that is for the whole taillight assembly. Max told me that the $235 he quoted was for both assemblies plus installation, not bad really. I do wonder why if your sockets turn ok in the assembly, appear to be undamaged and you know you have good bulbs why they don't work. Could it be a blown fuse? I would hate for you to buy new assemblies and have them still not work.
I'll have to check out the fuses. Would they have separate fuses for each group of lights? The inner most light (towards center of car) on each lamp assembly will not light. Would they be on their own fuse?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
The inner most lamp? I believe the inner most lamp is the rear fog light and should only be present on the driver's side. On mine, the passenger side still has a piece of plastic covering the spot where the socket would go. The rear fog light is mostly a European thing but very handy in the dense fog over there. With your parking lights or low beams on you pull out the switch, one click for front fog lights only, 2 clicks for the front fog lights and the rear fog light. The rear fog lamp lights up brighter than the regular tail lights and can alert a driver behind you that you are there earlier than they would otherwise be able to see you in thick fog.

From the 2002 owners manual:
"Front fog lamps (pull out one stop) with parking
lamps and/or low beam headlamps on. Green
indicator in lamp switch comes on.
Rear fog lamp (pull out to second detent) in
addition to the front fog lamps. Yellow indicator in
lamp switch comes on."

Hopefully that is what's going on and you don't really have a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts