Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300E
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't know if anyone can help but here goes, bear with the lengthy description ;)
'99 Kompressor

When I go to start my car after it has been sitting for about 8 hours, it will shake for the first 3 seconds while starting. It seems like it is going to stall but doesnt. Once it starts (always does), it is fine. Idle is fine, drives fine. Car has 85k on it now. I changed the plugs, MAF, and air filter at 80k. I just did the fuel filter a few days ago along with the addition of that Techron injector cleaner. These were done after the problem was already present. Anyway, when the car is warm it starts right up fine.
While searching I read about a car that was having a similar problem. Someone mentioned that a valve could be sticking which allows the fuel to slowly drain out of the fuel rail, just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, in my one year of ownership, car has yet to stall.

This seems like an odd problem, just hoping that someone might be able to crack it for me.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Here we go...I just developed the same issue.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Anyone? this w202 board sucks!

·
Registered
1992 300E
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah this forum is DEAD.
I used a code reader and came up with nothing, no pending codes, nothing....
I unplugged one of the spark plugs to simulate a misfire to compare, I definitely don't think thats what the problem is.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 345,000 miles
1,737 Posts
Woah woah woah, don't diss on this forum. I take great pride in the members that contribute so much to the W202 forum. Most likely the reason you haven't gotten a helpful response is because a) you haven't provided enough detail or b) no one else knows what the cause of the problem is, because you've said you've tried everything people would suggest.

Now it's your turn to contribute to the forum by taking your car to an independent Mercedes mechanic, having him fix it, and then reporting back to the forum what the cause was.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Well I took it on the highway and nailed it for a good 10 mins at high speed. The next morning it didnt do any hesitations.

·
Registered
95 c220 w202
33 Posts
@ Benzonline

Is that like "French Tunning"? Driving it hard to get the deposits out... LOL

@ JOESID

Try that out first... Then go to an indy. We're all stumped.

J

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Throttle Body Cleaning

Did you Guys try cleaning your Throttle Bodies? I've heard of similar problems and worse from dirty T.B.s.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
2000 c230 kompressor
373 Posts
same problem here too, any instructions on cleaning throttlebody?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I still have this problem....latest repair was failing oxygen sensors...this cured the problem VERY little of the cold starting. The way I look at it is "as long as it starts", but still...this is a Benz not a Ford.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Throttle Body Cleaning

Thumbnail on T.B. Cleaning...

Buy good Quality Aerosol T.B. Cleaner (Do Not use Carb. Cleaner or other chemicals) Remove the Rubber Inlet Tube from the Throttle Body. Inspect all the black gunk inside the T.B. throat. Wet a dust free rag with the T.B. Cleaner and wipe out the worst of the black gunk as best you can. Check the Rubber tube too. Then spray down into the T. B. Throat to get what you missed with the wrag. Replace the Inlet Tube. Expect a rough start and maybe a CEL from the foreign liquid for the first start run cycle. The car should smooth out as the Computer figures out that the car swallowed a Hot Toddie and turn off the CEL. Some day if one of you WITH A DIRTY T.B. does'nt beat me to it I'll post pics. Thought I'd drop a few Hints from the Hintenberg and see if anything happens...:D It would show up better if anyone has a dirty throat they would be willing to share. Mine was not dirty enough to show up in pics. and I had no symtoms.

Benzonline,

If you happen to get another CEL for O2 Sensors It's probably your MAF that's ruining them. BTDT. The MAF can also cause the mentioned problem but since the guy starting the Thread said he had recently changed his MAF I moved onto the next likely suspect. Sometimes it's a Easter Egg hunt fixing these cars and different problems can have similar symtoms.

Good Luck to all!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have recently replaced the MAF cleaned throttle body and multiple minor fixes as I just did a head gasket on my 99 c230k. I still have the rough starting problem and I am not sure what it could be now...the car has brand new plugs and coils too! Runs great after it gets passed that little hiccup which only happens in the morning and it seems like its worse when its humid outside in the morning. Also, I am getting a P1519 code and a P0410...not sure why...I have replaced the air check valve and made sure all the plumbing in that area was clean and working as it was easy to get to when I was doing the head gasket...

Anyway...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts