Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I wonder if someone can help out. The car is a 1987 260E 2.6L engine. Recently starting to have weird problem, worrisome enough that it is garaged now and not taken on the road anymore.

When cold in the morning the engine starts fine, runs fine. Then as the engine warms up (15minutes later) it starts to run really rough, and the exhaust is all black such that it would leave the pavement underneath it black with sooth too.
When this conditions is reached, if I put some load (pull the throttle to up RPM) on the engine and release the load (let go of throttle), the engine would stumble a bit and shuts off, then I can't restart the car at all, it would crank and crank but the engine won't restart. Come back in a few hours, the car would restart, and the whole procedure can be repeated :)

You can see why it's scary and not recommended to drive this until the problem is fixed. Say I stop at the red light, the idle will go up and down and up and down and scares the hell out of me, sometimes it would just stop and wont start again. Luckily I made it home and now keeps the car in the parking lot until I can fix the problem.

I started to fix it by first replacing with a new set of spark plug. Didn't help. Next? maybe replace the distributor/rotor set?

I am suspicious of some temperature related issue. Would a bad temperature sensor cause this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rough Runner

I'm was having the same problem. I took off the air filter to find a tube had been melted through. Not sure exactly which one, but it is a small cream colored hose that runs from where the dash is to down behind the air filter. I patched that and have been running it in park and drive off and on for a few days now. It hasn't died yet, but the idle still goes up and down more than i like. When driving around town, i am still terrified that it will die on me again. So I am also looking for a little bit of help with this.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Photoz

·
Registered
300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
868 Posts
It seems the cold start system is not shutting off as the engine warms up and flooding up the engine with over fueling . R
Remove the connector from the injector and check .if it continues to over fuel,if so likely the cold start injector is leaking all the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts