Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 91 500SL with about 55,000kms on it, or atleast thats what it SAYS! anyhow, it's been sitting outside in the snow all winter, and now it's spring and i wanted to drive it again. Of course, problems arise. :surrender:

So, after searching and finding no answers, i thought maybe some of you guys can help out.

I started the car, and idling was fun, though the engine seems a bit shaky. I put it into reverse or drive, and the car goes all ewok with rough idling and shaking.

I tried to accelerate (with 3/4 full tank of 94 gas), and the engine makes this squeaky sound, and there's almost NO acceleration and it is VERY VERY sluggish. I step on it a little more, and when the car begins to go about 20mph, it picks up as if there's nothing wrong. i come to a stop, accelerate again and again it's sluggish, but this time i actually saw RESIDUE fly out of my exhaust pipes. I get out and look at it, and it basically look like little pieces of crystal. I have no idea what it is, and needless to say, i stopped driving and turned it off, and there's burning smell and smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes.

I had a similar rough idling in a W140 once, and it was a faulty 02 sensor. But it was never sluggish to the point where residue exploded nor was it sluggish to the point of not moving.

Any ideas? This car has been giving me nothing but headaches :surrender:

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Do you have a rodent nest anywhere near the car?

Do you live in an area that gets them? You might have dead rat and/or a nest in the tailpipe.

They do that during winter, nest in small enclosed spaces. You wouldn't be anywhere close to the first person that happened to. But other than that, it could be the cats.

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
Sounds to me like the catalytic converter has gone. They start to break up internally, blocking the exhaust, causing it to run very sluggish. If it has now blown some material out that would explain why it picked up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts