Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post but I bet not my last. I have a 87 190E 2.3 with 139K. I've owned many Mercedes before but never a 4 cyl. Ok, here's my issue. At idle in park the engine seems to run a little rough like the idle is too low. Just off idle it is very smooth and runs strong. At a stop in gear idling it runs very rough, shakes the whole car violently but once again off idle it runs strong and smooth.. Also It takes 10-15 seconds of cranking to get it to fire off when it's cold. Any ideas??

P.S. Also the Lamda setting is right at 50%

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
While your trying to figure out the problem, put a bottle or two of Chevron Techron in the gas in case its a dirty injector. Most Wal-Marts and auto stores have it.

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currenty have some cleaner in the fuel and the oil. I just installed new plugs, adjusted the lamda and check for vacuum leaks, non found. Just one more question...what should happen if I move the distibutor? I can turn it all the way either way and nothing happens. Is this right?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yep its the motor mounts.

For the cranking problem definitely check your spark plugs and tune up bits and pieces for wear.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,381 Posts
A motor mount check is very easy. Lift the hood and shift the transmission while watching how far over the motor leans in forward and reverse. Too far a lean and the culprit is the motor mount (one mount on each side of the motor).

However, I would tend to say that given your facts, there may be another answer. A strong motor going forward means that air and fuel are working uninterrupted to give you power. A motor is a pump: pump in the fuel and pump out the power.

Idle should not change things unless the air is being compromised. If that's the case, then air is coming in through your injector seals.

Spray some water onto your seals at idle to see if the shakes go away. If they do, then order some seals at the dealer. Install as per the Haynes manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts