Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 mercedes
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1991 190e 2.6 has a rough idle and my car just shakes and shakes. I don't have alot of money and am wondering if there is a cheap fix for the rough idling and the shaking. I don't know anything about really working on cars so if someone could walk me threw how to do something i would appreciate it!!
i did see a post where someone was talking about seafoam flushing, what is this and if this is what i need to do how do i do it and where do i get it from.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 SL600, 07 BMW M5 ,04 545i sold, 2013 C300 Sport (for wifey) 03 CL55 s/Chg sold,91 500SL, sold
117 Posts
There could be a host of reasons why idle is rough..Did this just happen or was it gradual over time? It could be something as simple as old or bad spark plugs or fuel filter.You may have a vacuum leak with hoses around the engine.Check to make sure nothing popped off especially around the intake manifold or fuel distributor.Seafoam can be used in 3 ways as injector cleaner,by pouring 1/3 of the can into gas tank.It can also be used as an engine cleaner to help with effective combustion or upper cylinder lubricant or cleaning out carbon deposits again pouring another 1/3 measurement from the can..Lastly by pouring it down past the throttle plate or brake vacuum line to also enhances engine performance.You may need to do this in the open since it will smoke for a few mins when applied.Just follow the simple instructions on the can.It's available at many autopart stores.I get mine from Autozone,Pepboys,Advance Auto or Napa.Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
96 SL600, 07 BMW M5 ,04 545i sold, 2013 C300 Sport (for wifey) 03 CL55 s/Chg sold,91 500SL, sold
117 Posts
I mean't to say that a 1/3 of the seafoam can be poured into the engine oil as explained on the can.Good luck..

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 mercedes
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shaking has been progressive and if it needs new engine mounts how can i tell if it needs them? Like i said earlier i honestly dont have any knowledge about working on cars thank you both so much for the help!

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Put the car in drive, parking brake on, and hold your left foot FIRMLY on the brake. Slowly push down on the gas and see how much the engine shakes.

If it's excessive, you need new engine mounts and possibly the transmission mount.

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips
RockAuto Auto Parts
Discount Auto Parts Online -- PartsGeek.com - Domestic & Import Auto Parts Warehouse

Those three will give you prices. The trans mount is stupid easy to change. I've never done an engine mount swap. There's a "search" feature in the upper right hand corner of the page. I'm sure someone's done it before and has pictures: Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - Search Forums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts