Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560sl, 2005 SL65 AMG
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm very new "user' on this forum, but I have been reading a lot. I have a 87 560SL 88K which was idling rough, shaking and had acceleration hesitation. So I followed a lot of very good advise from this forum.

• Battery is 9 years old !!!
  • Distributor cap, rotor need replacement
  • wires could be replaced although no obvious visible or resistance issues
I did replace the belts, they were making noise and replaced the plugs, just to be sure, it seems that they were the original Bosch.

While working on the car i broke on of the "britle"connections of the EGR check valve at the front of the engine "accident".

I bought a new one and now the car is running as "almost" new. :)

The reason for my post is that I was about to replace, Dist. Cap, Rotor, ignition wires, battery, clean WUR, detailed check for vacuum problems, etc, etc....

I probably still have to do that as a regular maintenance job but the problem was solved with a very simple low cost fix.

The Mercedes part is 001 140 2060 and is about $30.

This may not solve a problem for you but it is something to think about since it is a valve so close to the engine and is exposed to the enormous heat of the engine. and it is a very low cost possible fix. I would think that if this valve is not working that the engine is running very lean and therefore is stumbles and shakes....

Thank you to the whole forum and active members.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
The Mercedes part is 001 140 2060 and is about $30...
Welcome to 107, and thanks for posting a resolution. When you can, please complete your profile to include location and yr car... believe me, it helps.

Also, would you mind letting us know what part it was you replaced. The part number is welcome, but a description or name would be great as well... or was it the egr check valve that you broke, that fixed your problem?

Glad you have your 87 sorted out. I wish you continued success...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Profile updated:

I guess I forgot to say that I did brake the EGR check valve, but it seems that it was already broke or at least did not operate correct or the connections where already half broken that caused the problem to begin with some time ago

The moral of my story is that I would have replaced a lot of stuff "the obvious" before I would have replaced that valve and only by accidentally hitting it and I had to replace it it solved my original problem.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Thanks for becoming active. And another welcome to the forum.
You will not find a WUR on the '87. The KE Jet injection system does not have one.

·
Registered
1984 380sl
81 Posts
OK. I wonder if my problems are the same. The engine stalls sometimes when stopping. Rough idle, sounds like it skips a beat . This just started after replacing the timing chain and guides. I was thinking more of the oxygen sensor replacement but the dash readout doesn't display a indication. Any help out there?? Also is anyone parting out a 380or 560sl? I need the trunk handle chrome piece. Mine got all scratched up when transported and my motorcyle fell against it. Thanks Ben

1984 380sl.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
1 Posts
I broke this part on mine trying to change the dist cap as well. I took it off to get the number off it to get a new one, and now I forgot which line goes to which port. Can someone tell me? There is a line coming from the EGR, a line going into the intake area directly behind the distributor and one going off to the right side of the car (left side if looking at engine from front). Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I broke this part on mine trying to change the dist cap as well. I took it off to get the number off it to get a new one, and now I forgot which line goes to which port. Can someone tell me? There is a line coming from the EGR, a line going into the intake area directly behind the distributor and one going off to the right side of the car (left side if looking at engine from front). Thanks!
If I remember right, the blue vacuum connection on the valve should go to the right of the engine (if you are standing at the front of the car looking at the engine)

Eric

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome welcome. I'm over in Carrollton TX so just down the road and am also troubleshooting a rough idle problem on my 81 500SLC (although i'm pretty sure mine is related to dirty gas).

Keep in touch.
Al, do you think that you have enough cars? :) yeah we are really close, I live close to the shops of legacy.

Eric

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Yep, I know that area very well. It's great for hunting cougars. I'm just by George Bush and Josey. Keep in touch, there are a couple of Mercedes Benz and SL guys in the area, e get together every now and then and help each other out with parts or jobs, work on the cars or just drink beer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I know that area very well. It's great for hunting cougars. I'm just by George Bush and Josey. Keep in touch, there are a couple of Mercedes Benz and SL guys in the area, e get together every now and then and help each other out with parts or jobs, work on the cars or just drink beer.
Al, PM sent

·
Registered
1985 380SL
72 Posts
OK. I wonder if my problems are the same. The engine stalls sometimes when stopping. Rough idle, sounds like it skips a beat . This just started after replacing the timing chain and guides. I was thinking more of the oxygen sensor replacement but the dash readout doesn't display a indication.
Did anyone ever have this happen, and if so, what's the solution? My 85 380SL just started doing this about two weeks ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anton on the Island

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,329 Posts
If the O2 sensor is not functioning the system reverts to a pre-set which ought not to cause stumbling idle. Your dash light will not illuminate because the bulb was removed at 30,000 miles. It should be relaced if you have over 60,000 miles. (I am not certain of these mileage numbers but I think they are correct.)

I recenly experienced a stuttering or miss at idle while the car was still cold. It evened out when at operating temperature. New plugs fixed this.

There are so many reasons for your symptoms it is impossible to say offhand what the cause might be. Try running it at high rpm under heavy load like up a hill or one of those hump bridges. Is your gas fresh or has it been in there all winter? You must try to narrow it down, isolate it from the universe of possibilities.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
72 Posts
If the O2 sensor is not functioning the system reverts to a pre-set which ought not to cause stumbling idle. Your dash light will not illuminate because the bulb was removed at 30,000 miles. It should be relaced if you have over 60,000 miles. Try running it at high rpm under heavy load like up a hill or one of those hump bridges. Is your gas fresh or has it been in there all winter? You must try to narrow it down, isolate it from the universe of possibilities.
Interesting note about the C/E light...didn't know that. Car has 105K miles, so perhaps the light has been removed.

We've got one nicely-sized bridge I can run up at high RPMs (Italian tuneup?) after work today. Gas is fresh (Shell), and I've run BG 44K and Techron through it in the last two months.

SIDE NOTE: Fuel economy seems really low. Around 17 mpg and I don't really drive that hard.

I'll take a look at the plugs and wires as well. Saw another forum mention that looking under the hood at night you'll be able to see bad wires arcing with each "stumble."

Many thanks,
Anton on the Island

1 - 20 of 23 Posts