Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
684 Posts
JimF37,
the 1994 S600 coupe I purchased for a mere $1500, sat for 6 years with driveability problems,
they could not fix it. it has the dreaded ASR light problem. ran like schit on 6 cylinders.
the crux of the problem, was ONE fuse, in the coffin box, end module, that was blown out.
I changed the fuse, the ASR light went out.
I bought it in 2019, it had a 2013 state inspection sticker on it. that's how long that car sat,
over a silly damned fuse.
it had a variety of other problems as well, such as a bad o2 sensor ground, and worn caps/rotors,
but the ASR light was solely caused by one damned fuse.
there's little or nothing anyone can do to "help" someone with a problem, we can only "advise", on any 1982-up OBD equipped car, without actually being there with the car on a scan tool. once the computer goes into permanent open loop or limp mode, it must be put on a scan tool and every parameter scrutinized- and "opposite" cause effect thinking used, in other words if the system is going rich on the fuel trims, there's a lean condition being compensated for. it the system is going lean on the fuel trims, there's a rich condition being compensated for. deteriorated harnesses make it even more complex to diagnose, because every inch of wiring be inspected for bare wires shorted to ground, or each other. in my case, I was fortunate the bare wires were only at the ends, where the harness is attached to the MAFs and throttle bodies. I repaired them with liquid tape.

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
418 Posts
Wow, you took 25 lines to say the same thing you said in post #16 with two (2) lines. Did anybody learn anything new?? The typical ETA failure is NOT the FUSE in the BASE module.

Can't you STOP pontificating? What does that have to do with thread starters problem? We should be in this thread to help Slothinker13 . . . not to eat BW with BS!!!

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
684 Posts
now, now, temper, temper....
we noticed a review may be needed, being you had a problem grasping the information.
see one of the teachers after class, they can schedule a tutor,
or remedial lessons. if you keep that up young man, you'll get detention....
??????

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
684 Posts
hahaha....Jim, you're not outta the dark yet with a car this complex...wait and see...
mine's had an upper engine harness put in by previous owner...
that's just the beginning....there's MAF harnesses, fusebox issues, etc.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
198 Posts
hahaha....Jim, you're not outta the dark yet with a car this complex...wait and see...
FWIW, Jim37 is very clued up and probably has already done all the things you're doing and about to be doing.
He has an excellent blog, that he maintains outside BW. Here:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
'98 S500, '99 S420 etc.
99 Posts
I'm sure Jim is a very talented W140 diagnostician and no doubt has other talents too. However he apparently practices primarily on his own car, a V8, rather than a V12. Correct me if I am wrong; I only infer from what I've seen on this site and at his website.
As for "pontificating:" I, as a somewhat interested observer who wanders into this site from time to time, find a discussion on a topic that might interest me and that is written in mostly clear english to be a useful breath of fresh air. Curt responses such as "try that" don't educate a reader, nor do long strings of appreviations and jargon used by those pssibly familiar with a part, a repair protocol, or a diagnostic system.
My suspicion is that much of what is written on this and other internet forums, representing a lot of knowledge and time invested, is becoming almost unusable after it goes "cold," once the "op" (there's a bit of jargon) has left the "room."
P.S, I read this forum in part because I too purchased an early S600 with "driveability" problems. I'm hoping that by reading here of others' successes I too will stumble on my solution without rewiring the whole damn car; it's not worth that.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts