Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C180 2.0L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

my car is still jumping from 1st to 2nd gear which seems to be getting worse over the last few weeks. The car has just been serviced and has no error messages. I know MB has a typical problem on manual transmissions with gear change from 1st to 2nd expeciallty when cold due to too much oil in the transmission but mine is an automatic and it does it also when hot. My oil level is fine! The mass airflow meter was reading the same value and was replaced but it did not help on the rought gear change.

any suggestion as to what might be wrong :confused:

·
Registered
2001 C180 2.0L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
rough gear problem solved!

I just got the car back this week from the Mercedes work shop and the car is driving fine. I have not noticed any rough gear change in any gears.
At first they called me that they found radiator fluid in the transmission which part from changing out the radiator also could mean a change of transmission. The changed the radiator and purge the transmission with 14 liter of oil. When I picked it up they said that the problems was still there :( and they were waiting of an experts opinion .
I drove the car out of there and never felt any problem (knock on wood).

They also told me the old trans oil did not look bad at all. So I wonder how much radiator fluid was in there..? As a chemist I wonder if it would be possible to see two phases or an unclear fluid. But I will never know especially when MB does not sell dip sticks for trans. I was in the MB workshop 2 months ago (before all this happened) and they did not want to sell me a dip stick! "You are not going to get one" How the h... am I supposed to do preventitative maintenance on MY car!!!

Funny this Mercedes claim that the transmission fluid does not need to replaced...I have talked to many Mercedes owners and the impression I get that an oil change every 100.000 km is normal (based on when the gear change starts to get a little rough)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 C240 rough gear change fixed

Hi,
I've read a lot of posts here about the rough gear change problem and wanted to share what the fix for my instance of it was.
My symptoms were rough changes up and down from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It was worse after it warmed up.
It wasn't quite so bad in comfort mode because it starts in 2nd gear.

Anyway, the solution to my one was the engine and transmission mounts were broken off. Got them replaced and its like a totally different car. Really clean unnoticeable gear changes now. While the car was fixed it also had the leaking fluid issue and was contaminating the TCM connectors so I had that seal done too.

Hope this helps someone else narrow down their problem. Or at least eliminate it as a cause. I don't remember seeing the mounts mentioned as the cause before. (Sorry if I missed that one and I'm re-stating the solution)

I just got my 2003 C240, and just signed up to this site, its a great resource and thanks to everyone that's helped me with minor annoyances and advice so far by reading from others experiences.

Cameron,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts