Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I found this website which offers aftermaket supercharger which is working principles like exhaust turbo (it doesnt have any conection with exhaust it is belt driven thing which have wide range pulley sizes)

www.rotrex.dk

Manufacturer Co. allegged that Rotrex type has advantages over screw type superchargers such as less heat and more boost up to 2 bar.

I think that this product can give us more boost = more power if we can solve ECU issues

what do you think?

cheers

Ali

·
Registered
351 Posts
This appears to be a centrifugal charger. The centrifugal has an impeller blade that spins at very high rpm's and basically acts like a fan to suck in air. The air is pushed through a venturi which compresses some of the air. The air is then going through the scroll towards the exit of the supercharger unit which further compresses the air as it slows it down. These supercharges were first introduced in the eigthies. They produce significantly less heat (at least for mild ie, <0.5 bar, applications) than the roots or screw-type chargers (which go back to the beginning of the last century), are failrly compact and made of comparably few components, thus very popular as aftermarket chargers. The main disadvantage that it depends on impeller speed to make boost because it is not a positive displacement charger like the Roots. The volume of air the centrifugal charger can push through varies with RPM. Thus, onset of substantial boost is delayed until the impeller gets up to speed, and there is much less of the steam engine torque you have with the Roots charger. Some may also require to be connected to the engine's oil circulation which requires addtl plumbing/welding. If I had to swap the charger in my I'd probably go for an upgraded Roots replacement to keep the bottom torque and the cost (in check).

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
As silberpfeil1234 stated the Rotrex is a centrifugal typr blower that is belt driven. Will it work, yes, but it has the disadvantages of both the roots and the turbo rolled into one.

(1) It's belt driven, so there is the known parasite drag that this produces.

(2) It requires high speed to develop boost, and when it comes on, it comes on strong and hard.

The roots or screw blowers can have boost from almost zero rpm, and it's almost constant and consistant right up through the rpm range. The draw back is that they are not easy to work on fo a lot more boost.

The turbo is less consistant and usually has a waste gate to dump excess pressure. They are easy to work on to get more boost, but have what is typically called "turbo lag" .

Bottom line is that eather the turbo or the roots/screw blowers will work, but a belt driven "turbo" is a real question mark.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Rotrex is the bomb...they are extremely small and extremely efficient for their size... AAtuning developed the FIRST EVER M3 supercharger Kit with this unit and NOVITEC ROSSO uses a Twin-Rotrex system on their Ferrari Supercharger kits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts