Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between drill slot rotors and OEM....other than cooling. What are the performance differences, quietness, vibration, and whatever else?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,209 Posts
For average driver it is just the looks.
While holes might help you with cooling the brakes in extreme traffic driving -the slots are design for shaving the brake pads while stomping on the brakes at 140 mph. How often do you do that?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
As noted they are for looks unless you are a canyon junkie or attend track days regularly. I put drilled rotors on my car since the wheels display them. No change in braking performance except for a little "phffftt" noise when braking gently. Slotted rotors will shorten the life of your pads and drilled rotors are more prone to cracks and breakage (however if you're using them that hard, you're one of the categories again.)

210 brakes are over-engineered, so the only reason to use them is looks.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
97 E320, 04 230K, 06 R500
189 Posts
I just recently changed my OEM rotors with aftermarket drilled & slotted rotors..........not too happy with them. They tend to create more unwanted brake dust. I think that is because of the Slot!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,209 Posts
10 years ago I was the one who informed dealer that the ML320 have 115 mph governors . Even called MBUSA with the question and they send me to aftermarket chipper in case I would like to use the truck at higher speeds.
I am stumped with the 130 mph on 98 diesel as well, since mine 99 gasser was governed at 125.
Than the 174 HP diesel was at full load at 130 mph and I couldn't test it long enough to figure out if that is governor, or maxed power of the car. I don't risk those speeds in CA and there is only 20 some miles from state line to Las Vegas. At those speeds it is just few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts