Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04' SLK230
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i get Brembo Slotted/Drilled for the front.

Is it ok if i rock some other brand for the Rear? Also Drilled/Slotted?

Or can i just get a set of brembo cross drilled for the rear? Will it affect it performance wise?

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 Silver Renntech pullies
438 Posts
Ideally, the brake force will match, front and back, in proportion to the weight distribution. Mix and match is ok but may not be ideal to achieve that.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
It's highly unlikely that you would notice any differance, but why would you buy a Ferrari with a Skoda rear end?

·
Registered
04' SLK230
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's highly unlikely that you would notice any differance, but why would you buy a Ferrari with a Skoda rear end?
You make a valid point. So I guess ill just go with plain solid Brembos. Seeing as how i wont be on the track. :surrender:

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
You make a valid point. So I guess ill just go with plain solid Brembos. Seeing as how i wont be on the track. :surrender:
Dont be a tight ass, Buy the drilled.

·
Registered
2002 SLK-230 Kompressor Black/Black
119 Posts
Pardon my ignorance with this issue...I need some education with this topic, but I'm curious if non-drilled rotors can be drilled? What would be the benefits [and also hazards] of doing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Ebay ?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Pardon my ignorance with this issue...I need some education with this topic, but I'm curious if non-drilled rotors can be drilled? What would be the benefits [and also hazards] of doing this? Thanks!
Brembo and a few others have a clue as to how to drill and or slot rotors and not set up the discs for stress cracks. If you decide to get this kind of disc, get them from a reputable manufacturer. To buy a set of discs and have the local machine shop drill some holes, or even do it yourself is a very bad idea. The heat cycles that the discs go through can start cracks at the sharp edges of the drilled holes and the cracks can propagate very quickly, if you don’t see the cracks, chunks can come out of the discs leading to a very bad day.

Tire Rack does not recommend drilled discs for any very “severe duty” use basically for that reason, but they still state that slotted rotors are OK for some high performance use: “Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors can be used in conjunction with race compound brake pads on the track for drivers’ schools and lapping days.”

Look here:

Brembo

Bottom line is that under extreme braking, as in racing, gases can build up between the brake pad and rotor. This gas can cause a slight separation between the two and cause a decrease in braking effort. The slots and/or holes give the gasses a place to go eliminating the slight gap and braking effort loss.
Most drivers will never get into that kind of situation because they don’t use the brakes hard enough to cause that to happen. On the other hand, some drivers can “over brake” the car by poor brake usage and cause brake fade which is pretty much just an overheated caliper which will cause the brake fluid to boil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts