Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a quote ($75 Cdn) for a pair of blank front rotors for my 98' SLK230, the brand name is "Brake One", has anyone ever heard of this brand ??

I also received a quote ($140 Cdn) for Brembo blank rotors but they were for double the price..

As for pads I'm going for Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads.

So my question is, has anyone ever heard of this brand "Brake One" ??

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
take the brembo. a much trusted brand id important:)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Bruce,.. I was trying to stay away from ordering these from the US ,. I hate getting hammered with surprise broker fees (I never know when I'm going to be charged these hidden fees). So I was trying to keep costs down and find rotors for a good price in Canada.

Yes, "Brake One",.. I found nothing on the radar for these in Google ?

The quote I received was from these guys who are on ebay. I asked them for a Blank pair without slots or holes.. my rears are good and they are also blank so didn't want to have a mixed look between front and rear.

Anyway,. guessing I'll just have to get the Bremo for $140 + shipping +tax ,.. :( from Ontario, so much for free trade...

I had a question though,.. I noticed when shopping for the front rotors, I would sometimes see the mention "1 pad pin Rear Caliper" why is this,.. I know rear pads have 1 or 2 pin models but I'm shopping for front rotors, is there a relation ?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The single pin rear calipers were replaced with the two pin units at some time, but it has no relation to what is on the front, probably just the way the site is programmed.

If you want the cheaper discs, buy them, unless you plan on tracking the car, these look good to me, and I would buy them. The point is that a lot of places buy discs from the major manufacturers and finish them themselves, the end result is just as good as anyone elses disc.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh,.. what the hey ;) ,.. I ordered the slotted and plated discs from R1 like yours Bruce,.. comes to about the same shipped from the US as it would buying here locally for the blank ones... R1 assured me that duty fee was only a fixed $10 USD,.. let's hope so !

·
Registered
Facelifted 98 SLK230
158 Posts
Rear brakes question - kinda basic one, actually

Bruce - or anyone for that matter - first off, please forgive my ignorance I'm only now getting more "hands on" about my car and the DIY stuff...simple stuff to most, a bit nervous for me... :p

About to change my rear brake pads for the first time, have a couple of basic questions:

1) Do I have to change the rotors as well, on the rear?

2) Thinking about the Euro Akebonos (same link as Bruce provided) - but there seem to be two different sets available for rear - the slightly more expensive one is an OEM fit...does it make that much of a difference? Or am I just not understanding the diff?

3) My car is 98 SLK 230 U.S. model - can I safely assume it is a single pin caliper?

Thanks to all for the great help and advice on this and other matters!!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Bruce - or anyone for that matter - first off, please forgive my ignorance I'm only now getting more "hands on" about my car and the DIY stuff...simple stuff to most, a bit nervous for me... :p

About to change my rear brake pads for the first time, have a couple of basic questions:

1) Do I have to change the rotors as well, on the rear?

Depends on the condition and mileage on those rotors. They should last at least two sets of pads, but there are a lot of variables.

2) Thinking about the Euro Akebonos (same link as Bruce provided) - but there seem to be two different sets available for rear - the slightly more expensive one is an OEM fit...does it make that much of a difference? Or am I just not understanding the diff?

Provide the link so we can take a look

3) My car is 98 SLK 230 U.S. model - can I safely assume it is a single pin caliper?

Probably, but it's easy enough to take a look and be sure.

Thanks to all for the great help and advice on this and other matters!!! :bowdown:
This is what the two pin calipers look like: SLK Rear Brakes

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
If you take a look at the larger sized pics that they have there, the cheaper pads are the two pin pads that you want.
The more expensive pads are the single pin pads... :thumbsup:

If there is ever any question in your mind, call them, let the vendor select the correct pads.
There is always the slim possibility that photo's or something else may have been screwed up on the web site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts