Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rose, The Saga Continues; The Arizona files......

11K views 76 replies 18 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it was time to continue Rose's Story in a new thread.

Go here for the beginning of the Saga up to today:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1612585-rose-saga-begins.html

Hopefully we can keep some of the crapola out of this ongoing thread to document the time, effort, blood sweat and tears and grief, to bring Rose from the Auction yard where Bondavi saved her to getting her right once again.

I had depredations driving her to AZ the first time, as I had not driven her on a trip before. She, as usual surprised me with how well she di. Now she has made two RT from CA to AZ and will be making a third next week a RT from Chloride AZ Back to Acton.

Both Jonwhite99 and myself know how it feels to drive a great, but not very pretty, (read bad paint), car for a while. It is heartening to get good responses from folks along the way, that pay no matter to the paint, but to the car.

Bondavi is right these Gen II Euro 500SEC's are rare, great cars.

See less See more
#62 ·
Got the fuel line and new fuel pump and fuel filter installed in Rose today. Battery had gone dead while sitting. Charged the battery and she would not turn over. Everything else works, but when I tried to start, nothing but a click at best, other trys, nothing. I got the jumper cables out and jumped from Bad Betty. It would turn over then. I pulled the coil wire and turned her over a few times to get oil pumped up and to make sure the fuel pumps pumped fuel to the Fuel Distributor. Replaced the coil wire and she came to life. Checked the volts from the Altenator and was getting 14 volts going into the battery. Ran her for about 20 minutes. Shut her off and nothing but a click when I tried to restart. Battery is at least 3 years old but had never died before. I'm wondering if maybe the connection at the starter is corroded or if it's new battery time. Again everything else works. Seats, windows, door locks, lights, etc. Just not enough to turn over. Battery showing 12 volts with everything off.
Again I jumped off Bad Betty and Rose started right up.
In the morning I will clean all the battery connections and the starter connections but I fear the battery is done. With the battery disconnected I Wil use the jumper cables connected to the hot and ground cables and try to start from Bad Betty. If she starts right up I'll know the battery is kaput. Anxious to get Rose on the road again.
Hard to belive I have had her just over 5 1/2 years.

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
#63 · (Edited)
Battery is toast. Will not hold a charge. Tested this morning at 6 volts. Looking though the paperwork and receipts this battery is the one I put in Rose in Oct. 2011. It is a Walmart Ever Start MAXX. 5 1/2 years and the last 4 in AZ. I see that it was a year old when I bought it and got the warranty and a discount because of mfg. date. I just hope I get 1/2 the life out of the next one.

#64 ·
Charlie, if buying a new battery... I was pleasantly surprised that the battery sold at the dealership was cheaper than from your local auto parts store.

Only downside, warranty is not as good as say Interstate's.

Reactions: Gogi
#66 ·
Yep. Especially here in AZ.
Nearest dealer is in Henderson, NV nearly 100 miles away. Probably just going to go with what I had. Have one in Bad Betty also, because of the reliability of the one in Rose. Because of that I had forgotten how old this battery was.
There are only 2 or 3
battery manufacturers in the US. They make them all and put different labels on them. I'll go with this battery because I know how reliable they are. Not like Rose is a concours car.

#67 · (Edited)
While I'm waiting on a battery I decided to change out Rose's HVAC fan as it died do to a very worn commutator ring. I've have never seen one this bad, almost a 1/4 inch groove worn in by the brushes. Had a good one I got at Pic A Part some time ago and proceeded to install it. Rose is Gen II so has the porcupine heater / AC regulator. As I was hooking it up one of the push on connectors broke. I had a regulator that I gleaned from the fan donor car. I swapped out the regulator and it turned out the original regulator was bad as when i got it all buttoned up the fan worked great. Then i turned on the AC which has not worked since i replace the compressor mtg. before I moved to my new place. VOILA the AC works but needs charged. AC Pro to the rescue. I also discovered that someone had been into the under dash and some of the air vent piping had been not put back together right with gaps and loose fittings. Reassembled them right, no leaks now. Not the easiest job but fulfilling when done. Rose awaits her battery.

Reactions: dadrab and bondavi
#69 · (Edited)
"She's a good girl...." said Tom Petty.
Checking on her this morning getting ready to replace the ignition stalk. I had disconnected the battery before I removed the ignition and stalk back in October. Battery showing 12.9V!
Waiting on parts delivery, then the fun starts.
Bad Betty leaves today, tomorrow, or Friday by enclosed transport. It'll be a sad bur happy day. Then I can love on Rose even more. She says it's about time.

Reactions: OKC Jeff
#70 ·
Finally figured out how to find this thread. Yes the Arizona files continues.
Rose has been sent to the body and paint guy. She will be restored /redone in tribute to my friend Bonbavi who gave Rose to me and bestowed the name "Mercedes Whisperer"upon me.
Following are some pictures from Roche's Restorations who is bringing her back. Body work and paint will be finished this coming week. New and rebuilt interior is next.

#73 ·
Beautiful!!! Let me know when you think you can bring Rose up to Vegas for a Cars & Coffee and I'll do my best to get my SEC, plus Mark and Bob SECs together for a photo shoot.

#74 ·
Will do. Hopentonget her home this week. Then start on the interior. Have ordered new seat leathers.
I know she's hankering for a cruise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.