Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
KrisSob,
There are 26 pages of Rose thread from the first thread. It can be found if you search for Rose, The Saga Begins. When I moved to Arizona I started a New thread. This will be an ongoing saga until she is completed...er..ah..I guess we never ever really get done do we? Always something else to do, needed or not. LOL
Thanks for the contribution above it add to my progress, one can never know enough about these cars. I appreciate all the auto mag articles. The color chart is interesting. The Car pictured on the cover appears to be Orient Red like Mapearso's Orient Express, in that picture, but in the spread it does appear to be close to Padgitt Red (Padjittrot). Interesting how lighting and settings make these cars to be different colors.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Would a road trip with Rose be a Rosetrip?

I left for CA early Thursday morning to travel back to LA County to help Aroundthescenes do his timing chain.
First road trip in Rose since the new TC, and the new tires. She did super averaging 19.9MPG omn the trip from Golden Valley to Barstow, Just over 200 miles on just over 10 gallons of fuel. I top off in Barstow as it is mucvh cheaper there than in LA county. Used the Cruise Control and did the speed limit just to see how frugal Rose could be. Pretty Good it turns out.

A shout out to JamesDean on this forum, his rebuilt CC Amplifier boxes WORK Great.

Went over to Knut's on Friday afternoon to do a Timing Chain Stretch test on his AMG SEC. Turns out the engine is so new, possibly a crate engine, but new enough that the guides were just a Orangey Red color and not marked at all, and the TC Stretch was at best 1/2 degree. This engine is the cleanest inside of any engine I have seen, MB or whatever, Cam towers still had the coating from the factory, I doubt there is 30,000 miles on the whole engine.
With that little TC stretch we decided that a new TC and guides were not needed at this time.
I set about grabbing some parts for the convertible off Knut's black parts SEC. Got the PS pump,Battery box, Windshield washer tank and pump, and the Firewall and false firewall to hood gaskets. Off the Mosby parts SEC, the passenger side Windshield Chrome, upright piece and the PS top piece.
Sat. Morning early I was going to get the whole exhaust system off Mosby too, but when I got under the car I saw, and remembered immediately I could not use it as it is the infamous down pipe under the oil pan CA abomination to go into the single in dual out CA legal Cat. Dang it!
Headed out from Knit's about 8 am, Yeah we started early because of the heat, but then shut down because of not being able to use the Exhaust.

I moseyed over to my Muffler guy to see if maybe he could do some surgery and a Catelectomy on Rose with no advance appointment. It was a go. That opportunity was a success. Both the Y pipe Turbo Cats were partially clogged and the MagnaFlowcat I had put in Rose in Dec 2011 was partially clogged as well, Rose can breath now, Did not change the sound at all.

Headed home this morning and did the same CC routine coming back. I topped off at the same staion in Barstow and found I used more gas chasing around Lake LA to Palmdale and back, than I did from Golden Valley to Barstow. Same mileage coming home as going.

COOL BEANS!! Rose ya did Great! I love driving this car.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Rose Grenaded this evening......

Not really what you think, but still I cannot believe this happened.
I have known for a week or so that the idler pulley bearing was on it's last legs, so I ordered a new pulley.
Not soon enough, I had heard the clicking and noise on start up, Used the stethoscope to find that the noise was indeed coming from the pulley, no squeaks or wobble, but a crunchy bearing noise at the bearing,
On my way to dinner this evening I heard a loud CLICK, then it sounded like the whole engine exploded. Still running with good oil pressure. I looked at the rear view mirror and saw 1/2 pulley rolling into the side ditch as well as a 1/2 pulley and something else hopping for the side ditch. Again no problem with the engine. I drove the 1/4 mile to Dinner and popped the hood.

First time I ever saw this! AC Belt hanging over the alternator, still intact, but the idler pulley and half the mount was gone. Snapped off! Three little legs showing a fresh break,

I have not had a chance to look up the parts on EPC but really hope the idler pulley mounting bolts on and is not cast onto the front chain case.

I have never seen a mount break, I have seen the pulley freeze and burn the belt up and cause all the belts to be thrown, But only thrown belt was the AC belt and it is not even a hint of burned. Pulley just ceased and the mount broke off, tossing the belt over the alternator.

Car still runs and drive great, but now no AC.
Guess I go to Vegas Saturday morning and raid the Gen II cars for this mounting.

Blue would not start this morning due to a dead starter bendix. DAMMIT!
Not a good day but it could have been worse.:(:(

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
CRAP! Just looked at EPC, the Idler Pulley assembly mounts to an ear or arm of the AC compressor mtg bracket. not an easy fix or an easy part to remove from a donor car. DAMMIT

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
It seems that wasn't the only damage with the idler pulley, arm and piece of the Mounting did the other night. took 3 days but all the coolant was lost. I could not see any damage to the radiator, except some mangled fins at the time. Also lost part of one blade of the fan and tore a chunk out of a second blade, so new fan is in order too.

I removed the radiator this morning and found one tube amongst the bent fins to have a nick in it and thus the leak.It is a good Behr Radiator with reinforced necks, so I hope to be able to have it repaired at a local radiator shop.

BTW has anyone removed the A/C compressor from the mounting without having to break the A/C system? Seems that I can remove the 4 mounting bolts and let the compressor move away enough to get the mtg. off the engine. Rose's A/C mount had the Idler Pulley Arm mounting bracket broken off in her self destruction the other night, so the A/C mount has to be replaced.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hell Hath No Fury like a Woman Scorned....

Apparently So......
Not only did Rose disintegrate her idler pulley, arm, mtg.bracket and put a small hole, (maybe?) in the radiator, she blew her water pump at the same time.
Guess she believes it is time to spend some time and money on her.
I had replaced her radiator and fan with one each from the Widebody to get her up and running, but still the dreaded leak. DAMMIT!

Personal best time for me this morning. Hour and 1/2 from starting with everything under the hood intact and running to finish removing her water pump. Even the harmonic balancer came off with relative ease. Nice thing about the whole mess is that there is zero buildup in the water cavities of the pump or passage ways in the front chain cover. just the few flakes you can see below. Thermostat was replaced 3 1/2 years ago to get the temperature up to pass smog. Thermostat looks and acts like brand new, but will probably replace it too.

A helpful hint. I always turn to TDC before I start dis-assembly. that way makes it a whole lot easier to replace the distributor and the harmonic balancer, even though the harmonic balancer and crank pulley's can only go on one way due to the bolt circle with one hole different in the bolt pattern.
It is a great point of reference at reassembly time. Makes life so much easier.

Radiator and fan go back on Bad Betty tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I had asked earlier somewhere if the A/C Compressor could be moved away from the mtg enough to get the broken A/C Mount off the car without having to break the A/C System.Short answer is yes you can! It's a little biotch Kitty to do but it can be done.

Attacked the broken A/C Compressor mounting this morning. I had taken off the PS unit and the mount on the front of the engine so to have more working room. There is a 10MM screw holding the small inlet pipe to A/C Compressor right behind and below where the wire bundle crosses to the spark box. there are 1 13MM bolt holding said pipe to block and 1 13MM bolt holding the other pipe exiting the Compressor, (this is a A/C Compressor Mtg Bolt),4 long 13MM bolts holding the compressor in the mount.

EDIT: These 4 bolts do not tap into the engine block, just the Compressor mount

Once those are removed the compressor can be moved forward and to the outside enough to get to the 2 remaining mounting fasteners in the rear of the mount. One is a 13MM bolt, the other a 13MM nut.

With the rear of the mount ready, it was time to tackle the front mtg screws. There are two 6MM Allen screws in the front that mount directly into the engine block. there is a metal brace
holding the lower edge of the A/C Compressor Mounting to the oil pan housing, 3 bolts are 13MM IIRC and the 4th is a 10MM IIRC. Removed this plate a while back so don't remember without going to look.

With the A/C Compressor out of the way the A/C Compressor Mount came right off.

I might add that this was accomplished from topside of the engine bay. Might be easier on a lift, but I don't have one at my disposal.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
I'm doing a Gen2 A/C compressor conversion on the '84 500SEC project - can you snap a pic of Rose's A/C compressor and mounting brackets - I'm gathering a group of parts together.

Looks like great progress and news concerning the water passages. Rose sure was taken care of well by its original owner.

·
Registered
One Smoke Silver '87 570SEC, one Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,505 Posts
FYI, the AC Pulley bearing is re-packable. Looking at the back of the bearing, there is a black plastic sealing ring that is about 3/16" wide. That can be picked out with an exacto blade or needle pick. Now you're looking at the balls and cage. I take some wheel bearing grease and pack it in there. The plastic sealing ring just presses back in place. Works fine, lasts a long time.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Here ya go Bondavi, Hope this helps.
This Gen II Compressor Mount is Part Number A1161301035 and is available from online MB Parts dealers for less then $100.00 new.

First picture is of the top of the compressor and shows the top two mounting holes on either side of the inlet / outlet fitting on top of the compressor.

Better shot of the top two Mtg. holes.

Top of compressor.

Front of the Compressor Mtg. showing damage and Mtg. holes. Compressor Mtg.s are top right lump and bottom right lump. Two left lower holes are for the mounting plate.

Top two holes are for the 6MM Allen Screws.

Looking straight into the Compressor Mount. Four left Holes are the Compressor Mtg. holes. 3 right holes are the Mtg holes to mount the compressor Mount to the engine block.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
FYI this part number is the the same on the 420 and 560 engines. It is shown as a Gen II part on the page for my 1986 Euro 500SEC using her VIN and "Not available on this model". I had to look on a 560SEC to see the correct part number and then checked. It is the same Part number for both 420, Euro 500, and 560 117 engines.

That said, I believe, and I could be wrong, that the Gen II Compressor will mount to the Gen I Compressor Mount, but I need to check later today when I am working on Blue. Gen I compressor mount appears to be fabricated from a piece of sheet steel and not a aluminum casting.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
All the parts to put Rose back together were hwere by Wednesday this week. new to me A/C mount from Mass., the fan and idler Pulley from Mike Ramay in Vegas and other sundry parts from Autohauz.
Rose fought me all the way. New water pump has been back on for a week with new thermostat. Took most of Thursday to get the A/C compressor and Mount back in the car, Got all the other stuff back on, PS Mounting and pump, Alternator , Harmonic balancer and pulley, Distributor back in, and all belts back on.,
Sailing right along until I tried to re connect the A/C Compressor plug. Got it plugged in and found Front TDC Sensor wire had pulled from the sensor which crumbled when I toughed it. On a Gen II car this Front TDC Sensor is merely a diagnostic tool and the lead ends in the round Diagnostic port on the Drivers side fender well. Gen I that Sensor plugs into the spark box.
I stopped work as I was frustrated about the sensor wire. The new part will be here tomorrow.
Today, after I learned that the sensor wire was only diagnostic, I replaced the radiator and all the hoses, hooked up the battery, turned her over a few times to build oil pressure, replaced the coil wire and hit the key and she started and ran good.
Ran here a bit in the driveway to check water temp and such, then drove her to dinner. Feels really good to be back in a Gen II Euro Coupe.

Tomorrow or Tuesday I pull Blue into the yard beside the convertible and begin to check her over. Also have a couple weeks of work to do on the WB Cabi.
Oh for the love of these Old School cars. Frustrating at times but so rewarding when they are right.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Been a long time since I posted about Rose.
She is still running great, but last Tuesday she developed a huge fuel leak. Pumped out a 1/2 tank in 6 miles. Luckily it was the fee line just above the fuel filter elbow fitting. No plastic tube shield and the vibration of the rubber line caused a break. As I was checking for other leaks I saw the primary fuel pump seeping or had seeped at the copper crush washer between the pump and the fuel check valve. FL as I tried to tighten the fuel check valve I cracked the fuel pump 17MM nipple the check valve screws into. There was still enough gas in the tank to hive.me a good bath. Found the cracks this owning as I was disassembling the fuel pump(s) assembly. Need to buy both a 17MM and 14MM Crows foot to get the feed line apart near the tank. That sucker seems to have been in the car since new and I'm a weak old man.
Think I'll replace both pumps, fuel accumulator, fuel filter and new hoses while i am in there.
I'll do this for Rose's 5 year anniversary of being saved by Bondavi and coming to live with me on Oct. 4 2011. Wow 5 years of mostly DD and mostly routine maintenance.
#ROSEROCKS! And #BONDAVIROCKS!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,778 Posts
Harbor Freight has nicely finished sets that FIT in both US & metric sizes for sub $10.. Flare sizes too for a little more..

Search results for: 'crowsfoot'

Don't know if they are located AZ, let alone close by you..

FYI: I tried to purchase a couple of singletons at the SEARS local to me and found I had to buy a $37 set to get the larger size I wanted…. They were not set up to sell an individual one.

Good luck man,

MBL

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I am still alive and well except my allergies are killing me. Due to all the rain we got over the winter the desert is in full bloom, hence my allergies are really kicking up, but enough about me.
Been offline except for my phone that doesn't like this forum for some reason, probably operator error. Was 3 pages behind this morning.

After sitting all winter due to the weather and me not feeling like crawling under, Rose is about to come to life once again. I was able to use the 14MM and 17 MM long wrenches to break free the fuel feed line from the hard line and have it removed. Original to the car car I think. Have and new fuel feed line, two new fuel pumps and a new fuel filter on order and should have Rose up and running by next week. Will be glad to get her back on the road as my DD. I miss driving her.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Awesome, Charlie. Some good phone plans out there that include hotspot services which is like providing the wifi for your house via the phone, so your laptop can get on. Food for thought.

Hey, I'm shipping a bumper soon via uShip. I would like to get that gen2 euro bumper out to you. Is there a Greyhound nearby? If you don't think you'll have time to get to it, I can pass it on - it needs quite a bit of work, but is still a gen2 front coupe bumper.

·
Premium Member
10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,823 Posts
Great to hear from you, Charlie! Hope you get Rose on the road soon. How's the WB doing?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
BAD BETTY is doing well. No progress, but no problems that a 32 year old non restored barn find doesn't have. Just maintaining her at present.

Bondavi
Yes I still want it. You are 10 hours away from me. Big Grey Dog may be best.
There is a Big Grey dog station in Kingman, AZ. Get a shipping quote to 86401 or Kingman Bus terminal / stop.

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
41 - 60 of 74 Posts