Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rash of hot days here downunder my roof would sometimes stop just as the roof was to come out of the boot.
I believe I have tracked it down to the sw under the r/h side brush that tells the roof the boot lid is tilted back.
This was the only sw that I could duplicate the fault on.
I priced from MB Ozzie $75.. hmmm New micro from Jaycar $3:50, worth a try :)
Switch wired so normally open contacts roof up, closed contacts when sw operated and boot tilted back

Pics show:
Roof stuck on way up
Sw location
Opening sw case
Old sw
New switch fitted and tested.

Bingo It works :D

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Nice find Bazzle, and nice pickys, you really do take the time to look after us Bazzle.
Thanks for your time m8 your a star :bowdown:

Dont ever sell your slk or we'll hunt you down, Cant lose our fixit man

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I never would have thought to tear it down all the way to the little microswitch, what a great fix Bazzle. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
Great post with some great pictures. Any chance you have any pictures on where all of the switches are located and what they look like?

Your a big help Bazzle

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris A said:
Great post with some great pictures. Any chance you have any pictures on where all of the switches are located and what they look like?

Your a big help Bazzle

Try this

A 170 820 07 10
Switch, Rotary tumbler front

A 170 820 12 10
Switch, Vario roof foldet down

10 (x2)
A 170 820 01 10
Switch, Proximity switch, Vario roof cover

A 170 820 11 10
Switch, Limit switch of Vario roof open

A 170 820 03 10
Switch, Limit switch of Trunk lid closed

Switch, Rear lid lock hasp

A 170 820 09 10
Switch, On support of locking pin

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
97 SLK230-RHD
159 Posts
Bazzle, I opened that "Limit open" switch in the boot and it's contents differ from yours. My car is a 1997 230K. The actual switch-head of mine bears directly onto the plastic wedge operated by the stop-bar; also the construction & wiring of the terminals is different as well as the connection of the 2 wires. I enclose a picture .

Attachments

·
Registered
98 SLK 230K
49 Posts
Rear Switches

I have only had my 98' SLK 230 for just under a week now, Went to put the roof up, the windows opened, the trunk opened... and then nothing, just a whirring sound.
I searched and found this thread, seemed just what I was looking for. So I set about locating the rear switch under the brush, problem was I cant find it?
Would it still be on the right hand side of the car as you look at it from the rear (Bearing in mind I have a UK model, RHD). How many and which panels should I have to remove? I can see the main hydraulic unit on the right beneath the cover if it helps.

As I am a noob please respond in easy to understand terms as I am not quite up on all the tech speak yet!!
PS loving the car so far, just need to get this prob sorted out for the great British Summer!
Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
333 Posts
Time will tell if its the correct one :confused: will be 40 centigrade here on Sat :eek:

Bazzle
Wow it's only 12c here in Dublin at 1pm:( I guess global warming doesn't affect everywhere;)

CMount

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
It should be the same as Aussie SLKs (ie. Bazzles's) are RHD and built to UK spec according to the sticker in the fusebox.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bazzle, I opened that "Limit open" switch in the boot and it's contents differ from yours. My car is a 1997 230K. The actual switch-head of mine bears directly onto the plastic wedge operated by the stop-bar; also the construction & wiring of the terminals is different as well as the connection of the 2 wires. I enclose a picture .
yours is the same, doesnt matter what way around the 2 wires are.

Bazzle

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have only had my 98' SLK 230 for just under a week now, Went to put the roof up, the windows opened, the trunk opened... and then nothing, just a whirring sound.
I searched and found this thread, seemed just what I was looking for. So I set about locating the rear switch under the brush, problem was I cant find it?
Would it still be on the right hand side of the car as you look at it from the rear (Bearing in mind I have a UK model, RHD). How many and which panels should I have to remove? I can see the main hydraulic unit on the right beneath the cover if it helps.

As I am a noob please respond in easy to understand terms as I am not quite up on all the tech speak yet!!
PS loving the car so far, just need to get this prob sorted out for the great British Summer!
Thanks
See third pic, arm of boot lid contacts it when fully open for roof to drop in/out.

DANGER

NOTE: If you play arond in here with roof half open you MAY loose your fingers.

IF you must at least make sure engine is runningbso it doesnt suddenly drop on your hand.

Bazzle

·
Registered
98 SLK 230K
49 Posts
Thanks guys, So I found the switch, took it out and gave it a good clean and replaced it.
Went to open the roof, the windows went down, the trunk opened and .......nothing, the roof wouldn't come down. Does this still point to the same switch?

Thanks
A frustrated SLK owner

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, So I found the switch, took it out and gave it a good clean and replaced it.
Went to open the roof, the windows went down, the trunk opened and .......nothing, the roof wouldn't come down. Does this still point to the same switch?

Thanks
A frustrated SLK owner
Easy to prove, run 2 wires out from sw and join together as roof lifts.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230K
49 Posts
Thanks Bazzle, Thought there must be some way of testing it. Do you mean bridge the terminals of the input plug while the trunk is opening, i.e. leaving the switch out of the circut thus eliminating it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
Easy to prove, run 2 wires out from sw and join together as roof lifts.
I did this last year on a road trip to get the roof to open when the switch failed. Impressed the heck out of my son (I had him short the wires at the proper time).

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor, 2001
484 Posts
Bazz how can i get that switch out? (the sw under the r/h side brush that tells the roof the boot lid is tilted back.) It`s locked in a metal frame and the visibility is`nt great and i can`t see what to push to realease. Thx!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts