Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SECOND EDIT: All is well...see my note below

Hi All. I've searched a number of threads but can't find the exact symptoms our '98 SLK is displaying.

After being garaged over the winter we decided to take it out for a spin on a sunny spring day. I started it up, opened the trunk (boot), made sure the tray was in place and then pulled the roof button back to lower it. It acted normally...trunk began to open, rear quarter windows went down but then there was a "clunk" and everything stopped.

The light in the switch began blinking. I released it and it stayed on (not blinking). I pushed it forward and it started blinking again...released it and it stayed on...pushed it back, same thing.

After a short time the trunk seemed to "release" its pressure and I was able to push it closed (didn't force it). However the switch is now illuminated and pushing it forward or backward only causes it to blink and nothing happens; no sounds, no motor, no pump noise, etc.

I can open and close the side windows using the normal power switch but the rear quarter windows are down.

I used to work on cars and am not afraid of a simple DIY project, but thought I'd get some advice from the experts before I go any further or take it to the repair shop.

TIA for any guidance!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the battery was dead and I had to jump start it. I've done that several times over the years without any problems, but thought I'd mention it in case it has any bearing on my situation.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Sounds like the roof is stuck to the windscreen head? - Might have popped the 40 amp fuse under the hood or latches sticky?
You could operate the manual lock in the headlining a few times to free up the latches (allen key)

If you jump started it, batt volts may be low - try running engine at 1500+ while cycling roof

Bruce

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there...I was just about to post when you're note came up. Thanks very much for the good advice.

Actually I ended up replacing the battery. The Sears Die Hard that replaced the original was over five years old. Quite good if you ask me! This time I put in an Interstate branded 84 month battery (which was recommended on a few other threads). I popped it in and reset the radio code, connected my ODBII reader and checked all of the engine codes...no problems. Unfortunately the roof switch was still illuminated (steady) and would only blink if I pushed it forward or backward. So I decided to have another look at the various roof bits. Everything looked in order, but I never committed the setup to memory so it's hard to tell.

I opened the trunk (boot) and had a play with the tray's microswitch...seemed fine. I pulled and retracted the tray a few times. I closed the trunk lid hard...which I don't normally do but someone posted on another thread that it worked for them. I kind of pounded around the dome light because there was another post that said there was a micro switch in that area. I held my breath and tried the switch again...pulled back on it and low and behold everything came to life!

I retracted and closed the roof several times without any problems. Light in the switch is out (except when it would normally blink) and that's that. I have no idea what happened, but life is good again.

Thanks and here's to some happy topless driving again (at least in the top-half of the world ;) )!!

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
at this point i would go to the tech sticky and search for a thread on top lubrication. go through all the latches hinges rubber seals and lube it all. work the top for a while and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at this point i would go to the tech sticky and search for a thread on top lubrication. go through all the latches hinges rubber seals and lube it all. work the top for a while and you should be good to go!
Thanks for that. I've always taken the time to use good lubricants on all of the hinges, etc. (Q-tips, lithium, etc.) so I was really surprised when it acted up. Before it stopped working it didn't act like it was struggling to move or anything. Felt like more of an electronic disconnect, as if I'd let go of the switch or something. At one moment it was opening normally and the next..."clunk"...then nothing.

It might have had something to do with the dead battery...just not enough juice or? :confused: Who knows? It still has less than 50K miles, always covered, garaged and I try to keep it in sweet condition inside and out. But I'll have another look to be sure I haven't missed anything.

BTW, for anyone looking, Oberoi has an excellent post on the subject of roof lubrication. :bowdown:

Thx again! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts