Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last few hours reading the numerous threads on R171 roof issues as well as aftermarket control modules, and no one else seems to have experienced quite the same issue as I am now.

Back in 2006 I was among the first group of R171 owners in the U.S. to install a Piecha Comfort Roof Module, thanks to the gracious assistance of several other European SLK owners on this forum.

I've had no trouble with the module for the last 6 years, but yesterday I was driving on the expressway with the roof open, and all of the sudden the instrument panel display showed "retractable roof visit workshop". Lucky for me I was not far from home, there were no rain showers around, and I have a garage.

There's no movement or noises when I try to close the top, and there is no response if I try to deactivate the Piecha module (using the steering wheel button, for those of you that are familiar with the Piecha module).

I did have to have a hydraulic pump replaced in 2008 (fortunately under warranty, the dealer told me the part alone cost $1600). Except for that incident, the roof has worked fine for more than 7 years since the car was new.

Is there any way to tell if the problem is the Piecha module, or something else? I emailed the Piecha folks a couple of hours ago and have not heard back yet.

If the issue is the Piecha module, the last thing I want to do is take the car to the MB dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I've spent the last few hours reading the numerous threads on R171 roof issues as well as aftermarket control modules, and no one else seems to have experienced quite the same issue as I am now.

Back in 2006 I was among the first group of R171 owners in the U.S. to install a Piecha Comfort Roof Module, thanks to the gracious assistance of several other European SLK owners on this forum.

I've had no trouble with the module for the last 6 years, but yesterday I was driving on the expressway with the roof open, and all of the sudden the instrument panel display showed "retractable roof visit workshop". Lucky for me I was not far from home, there were no rain showers around, and I have a garage.

There's no movement or noises when I try to close the top, and there is no response if I try to deactivate the Piecha module (using the steering wheel button, for those of you that are familiar with the Piecha module).

I did have to have a hydraulic pump replaced in 2008 (fortunately under warranty, the dealer told me the part alone cost $1600). Except for that incident, the roof has worked fine for more than 7 years since the car was new.

Is there any way to tell if the problem is the Piecha module, or something else? I emailed the Piecha folks a couple of hours ago and have not heard back yet.

If the issue is the Piecha module, the last thing I want to do is take the car to the MB dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I've had this problem on occasion over the last 5 years, and I'm sure I've finally resolved it permanently.

The attached article for a biker forum explains the issue well, and 11 years ago Piecha included one of the offending T taps with the roof module.

The Problem with Wire-Tap Connectors « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

I'm horrible at soldering, but I seem to have found a great solution called Posi Tap connectors. They are widely available. See the video explaining how they work here:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP605/Posi-Products-Wire-Connectors.html

Not sure how many R171 owners there are remaining out there with Piecha roof modules, but if there are, hope this helps you prevent getting stuck in the rain with the roof open :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts