Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting last October the roof on my SLK developed a rattle right over my head whenever I drove on rough roads which are everywhere in DC. It drove me nuts and cheapened the whole SLK experience for me. I took it to the dealer but they only lubed the seals and the rattle returned the next day. I found if I pushed up on the roof the rattle stopped but returned as soon as I let go. I checked every bolt on the roof mechanism that I could get to but none were loose. Finally I decided to try the felt fix mentioned on another forum. While trying to figure out where the felt should go I noticed a bracket that positions the top of the rear glass. I adjusted the bracket down two notches and THAT FIXED THE RATTLE! Life is good once again.
The engine has to be running while you do the adjustment or the roof will not stay in a partially open position.
The first pic shows the location of the bracket in the center of the photo on the driver’s side of the car.
The second pic shows the bracket after I lowered it two notches (note that the adjustment screw is on the back side of the bracket).
The third pic shows the bracket from the front of the car.
The fourth pic shows the bracket from the right side of the car so you can see the position of a bracket that has not been adjusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
SLK280DS - Nice set of pix and description. Will be a nice reference piece for forum members to check when they have a similar issue. Doesn't it make you wonder why the folks at MB didn't know about this fix? I guess their solution for a lot of things is "lube it" and send the customer on their way.

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
I don't have a rattle but rather the more "typical" creaking noise from when the various top components shift when driving over rough roads etc.

It's not horrible but........., I was wondering if anybody had found a way to cure it.

I was thinking of inspecting the various joint faces and seeing if I see any rub marks and maybe using a discreet amount of that thin felt material Lexus dealers use to fix squeeks.

BTW SLK280DS, nice job on the pix and description of your fix.

I can raise the top and stop it "partially open" with the engine off on our SLK280. The only reason I know is I tried it when I wanted to take a picture of the top in that position.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
how i fixed my squeek

i have a bunch of felt dots in my car.
Over time.. they crush and dont work as well.

I put mine where the red dot is.

half over the hole and half off.. on the RUBBER mould.
Simple.. but annoying that i need to use felt dots to stop squeaking.. and electrical tape to stop my door from rattling..

Not even on my old nissan 300zx / fairlady did i ever need to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
Felt

After fixing the roof creak with some felt I started getting an annoying rattle from the boot area. I thought the boot lid needed adjustment but the noise wouldn't go away. I finally traced it to the handle mechanism on the boot protector/seperator. I noticed that when the handle was closed it didn't rattle. I opened it up using the two screws and slipped two pieces of large felt into each side. This was the best that I could do as I couldn't open it up fully. Anyway noise stopped immediately and you can't see the felt so I was happy.

I think the car should have been supplied with a roll of felt

If any one has a rattle from the boot I would try a test to see if it is the same problem as mine. Just tie up the handle using string so that it is closed and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
sagey said:
I think the car should have been supplied with a roll of felt

I agree. I try to make myself believe I'm in an old pirate ship that is creaking and groaning over the ocean.....

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
100 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
I agree. I try to make myself believe I'm in an old pirate ship that is creaking and groaning over the ocean.....
LOL :yelrotflmao:

That's the most innovative solution I've heard yet!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
danketchpel said:
I don't have a rattle but rather the more "typical" creaking noise from when the various top components shift when driving over rough roads etc.

It's not horrible but........., I was wondering if anybody had found a way to cure it.

I was thinking of inspecting the various joint faces and seeing if I see any rub marks and maybe using a discreet amount of that thin felt material Lexus dealers use to fix squeeks.

BTW SLK280DS, nice job on the pix and description of your fix.

I can raise the top and stop it "partially open" with the engine off on our SLK280. The only reason I know is I tried it when I wanted to take a picture of the top in that position.
When my roof creaks, then the lube thing works for several months to stop it. I'm surprised that your top stays partially open with the engine off. Mine will close by itself after a minute or two.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
page 255 of the US Owners manual: top should stay open for about 15 seconds with the engine off, but open for about 7 minutes with the engine on.

WD40 may not be great for the hinges, as WD40 will wash away the current lubricates, and replaces it with a very thin lubricant that evapourates sooner.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
diclehana said:
I put felt on the varioroof 4 months ago it makes a huge difference... Everyone should try this........
Still amazes me that we have to come up with these types of solutions on such an expensive car. I guess there's no such thing as a "perfect" product. Just too many moving parts that are subjected to a lot of uncontrollable variables. My guess is that Lexus owners also have a few of these rattles, etc., that are solved with a piece of felt.

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
9 Posts
I had that creaking noise over curb cuts too, and the dealer used a lubricant on the header that fixed it. Of course, that will not last forever, but it has for a few months. I asked if I could buy some of what they used. They had a 1-2 oz. bottle that cost $45, so I decided to look around, but I haven't found anything that seems similiar yet. I don't want to use some oil that will ruin the rubber.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Boone Callaway said:
They had a 1-2 oz. bottle that cost $45, so I decided to look around, but I haven't found anything that seems similiar yet.
Yikes! That's pretty pricey. I assume you got the name of the lubricant and have already checked the Internet for a cheaper price?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update. Instead of lowering the left hand bracket two notches, I changed it to just one notch lower and lowered the right hand side to match. Still no rattles! Lowering the brackets pushes the top edge of the rear glass out just a tiny bit.

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
SLK280DS thank you very much, yesterday I tried your solution and it works... I wonder why service knows sh*t about roof rattling!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
diclehana said:
SLK280DS thank you very much, yesterday I tried your solution and it works... I wonder why service knows sh*t about roof rattling!!!
That's great. Glad it helped. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SLK 200
52 Posts
where can i get a good lubricant that will work? my bloody dealer wants 70 usd to lube my roof so it seems that i will have to do it myself

1 - 20 of 30 Posts