Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 G55
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good roof rack for the G that has a lower profile than the Thule?

·
Registered
'02 G500
75 Posts
I can tell you to steer clear of Yakima. One ski weekend of use and they dimpled my roof. This happend after I checked the clearence which was almost nothing. Any movement in the wind or on the highway and they make contact with the roof.

I am leaning towards a full basket like Confer or ARB.

Brad

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Not sure what Thule looks like, but Hannibal products are top notch. Here's a pic with the G.
http://www.clubgwagen.com/specials....Hannibal Roof Racks for G-wagen&sid=item&id=1

Any Hannibal dealer can order for you.

The ARB is also pretty low profile, but like Hannibal will be special order here in the USA. You might try Bill Davis at Great Basin Rovers (google it) and see if he can special order the ARB rack for the G.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Hannibal is great.

I can only second what Dave said. Hannibal is great. ARB makes a nice rack too. Here's a photo from the DesertPalooza G Treffen of FERNWEH's truck set up for serious expedition travel with the Hannibal rack and rooftop tent. It's sweet. He can set up camp in about 10 minutes. Photos below.

BTW, I've never had a rack on my G. Is the wind noise a huge issue? And does anyone know how much weight the rain gutters are rated for?

— Spalding

Attachments

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,110 Posts
Permissable roof load: 200Kg or 440 lbs, evenly distributed

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
Here's my Hannibal roofrack with the side bars and tent removed - it's on its way to be powder-coated.

The sunroof opens without hitting the rack. The view of the underside of the rack is not too inspiring.

No noise from this rack, even with the tent on there, as long as the sunroof is closed. With the sunroof open, its like a hurricane.

I tried all the Yakima and Thule stuff - still have the dimples in the roof to prove it. Hannibal is the way to go if you regularly put stuff on the roof. I got mine from Rover Accessories in LA.

Attachments

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Roof Racks and bumpers...

one thing for people to consider when getting a rack, if you can "use" a shorter one that mounts a foot or two behind the sun roof, the wind noise might not be that bad. On my pathfinder i found my ski carriers were really noisy (when in front of the sunroof) so when not in use i'd slide them all the way back so they made almost no extra noise.

Jeez, check out w5yk's front bumper... talk about protection.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I do know that a Landrover 90 rack fits a swb G and a 110 a lwb G. I also concur that a Thule rack doesnt deliver the expected product quality and with there own bars sits too high from the roof, unless of course you have a tilt sun roof ?????

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
d-90 brake lines work for a 460 also.
are you talking about a d-90 half cab rack or station wagon? is the arb a direct bolt on for the g or do i need to fab up some different mounting brackets. please let me know, i need a rack so i dont get any more dents on the roof.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
http://www.ok4wd.com/
arb offers 3 sizes and 2 types of mounts.
arb racks are pretty much bomb proof from seeing my buddies trucks abuse them. will be my next purchase, after the hurst handled shifter.

·
Registered
2003 G55
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks. Looks like the Arb might work, since all i need is a regular rack to carry my surf boards and some light stuff like a stroller or chrismas tree. Those Hannibal racks are sweet, but for 1700 bucks...not quite cost effective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts