Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!<br>
I know there excists a carrier for the hardtop for this model from MB (oris), but need the part number when it's still in production or may be in store.<br>
Please help!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,225 Posts
The Paddy Hopkirk model above is tailored to the W107 but is an universal mount that utilizes the drip rail clamping system.

The two notches found on each of the two hard top rails must have been used in an OEM roof rack system I would think.

The MB engineers would have far more cleaver than 'ol Paddy. lol

·
Registered
1988 560SL
23 Posts
I looked into the subject this winter and contacted Germanstar and AutohausAZ and a couple of other sites but nobody had heard of a Mercedes roof rack that would fit in the existing notches in the hardtop.

I eventually bought a Thule roof rack that sits on the drip rails...

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
OK, I'll ask. WTF does anyone need a roof rack for?:confused:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
You know, after seeing that and thinking what will happen when SWMBO sees the final bill for the SL... I may be in the market for one of those myself!:D:eek:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts

·
Registered
85 380sl, 06 Jetta TDI, Wagon
233 Posts
Is this what you are looking for? Now I've driven my car in the snow....I don't suggest doing it without a full tank of gas, and a full trunk, even with the 380 it was far to easy to fishtail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,225 Posts
Is this what you are looking for? Now I've driven my car in the snow....I don't suggest doing it without a full tank of gas, and a full trunk, even with the 380 it was far to easy to fishtail.
Excellent, thank you for posting the photo!

The idea of a roof rack on a SL is rather counterintuitive but it's still a very cool period accessory piece.

Anyone have one? How is the mounting configured?

I wouldn't take the SL to the slopes as the traction in slippery condiitions, as you mentioned, is horrible. A surf board to the beach, maybe. lol

Very cool.:thumbsup:

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,781 Posts
Damn. I was looking at something else yesterday and they had ski racks. Now I can't find the web site.:mad:

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Just saw this... about 2 months ago on CL there was a Wooden Teak roof rack for sale ($30.00) for a SL. I didn't get a reply from the seller then I tried again and the ad was deleted!

I wonder if any member from here got it it was in North Miami area?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts