Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clk 5000 2005

the soft roof will not close properly.
its the back part of the roof system. the back window close down. but the last part of the closing is not being done. maybe something is not pulling the cover or the window close to early. I'm not sure.

when the car is finish closing the soft top. There is a small gap between hood and roof system for 1 inch.

i can push with my hand quite hard on the cover from behind and then i can push it in place. and i get no warnings in dashboard

but my girlfriend can't do it

the roof works perfectly when opening the roof

maybe somebody know a thing or two

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
obstruction or sticky cylinder?

jannickj,

sorry to hear about your trouble. I don't own a W209, so maybe another member has better input. Since pushing hard on the cover allows you to close it, you either have an obstruction somewhere, or there is a problem with the cylinders. Turn the ignition off when trying to push the cover manually.

If you cannot find an obstruction, you may want to find out just how hard it is to push the hydraulic cylinder down the last portion of its travel. These cylinders have built-in friction of typically some 30 lbs. Much more than that indicates a problem. If you disconnect one cylinder at a time from the open cover and try to push it in, you will probably be able to tell whether the cylinder is okay. The last half inch of the downward travel is engaging a latch inside the cylinder. That might be binding on you, which is a bit more difficult to test. Let's see what else you find before we get into this.

We get lots of these cylinders in when they are binding too hard. We can fix it as part of a rebuild. These particular cylinders are (unreasonably) complex, because Mercedes tried to eliminate the need for latches and shocks on the case cover by incorporating everything into the hydraulic cylinder.

Hope this helps,

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Klaus,

1)
Ok i dont suspect there is any obstacles because the roof is opening perfectly with no problems and no no malfucntions

Its only at closing i have problems.

2)
so i could try to find the cylinder that is making it hard to close.

Rune

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
If the dash indicator for the soft top operation is not illuminated, then the system is registering that the cover is fully closed. This would most likely be a limit switch failure rather than a hydraulic faiilure. it might be this one:

Soft Top Compartment Limit Switch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at closing its says top in operation.

the last part of the roof cover next to the trunk is not closed down properly. I have to push quite hard to manually close it.

Then the roof in operation malfunction disappear.

all my problems is only at closing. When opening everything is perfect.

Strange..

·
18,857 Posts
OK, so that does not sound like a bad limiter switch. You say this is at "closing" and "opening" works fine, but the photo you show is with the soft top open. Was the photo taken that way for illustration purposes, or are you really talking about "opening" and "closing" in terms of the cover?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me take a fresh picture tomorrow when sunshine is available.

the pictures is only to show the cover.

Yes the problem is occurring in the final closing stage of the top.
The back "cover" is not posuhed into position. I manually have to do it

·
18,857 Posts
My guess would be a problem with the hydraulic cylinder for the cover. It has an inner seal that is prone to leaking. You won't see fluid leaking out of it, but the seal allows fluid to bypass the piston internally and thus won't have enough pressure to operate.

Soft Top Coverf Hydraulic Cylinder

·
Registered
661 Posts
fortunately, that's not it

It has an inner seal that is prone to leaking. You won't see fluid leaking out of it, but the seal allows fluid to bypass the piston internally and thus won't have enough pressure to operate.
Hmm. Of course, MB has a tool to test any kind of remote possibility of failure. Usually, a little ingenuity gets you there a lot faster. Depending on car model, internal leaks show up in roughly one in a few hundred to one in a thousand cylinders that we rebuild. The piston seal on these particular cylinders is fairly sturdy.

In any case, an internal leak should not be causing the difficulty in closing the cover even manually - free flowing hydraulic fluid would only make it easier to push down the lid by hand.

If the cylinder did have an internal leak, that would be something Top Hydraulics can fix, but jannickj will have to search for another cause of the problem...

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with rudeney's post #4, where he says that the problem is the limit switch. The cover stops moving because the control system thinks (has been told by the limit switch) that it is in the right position already.

Have you found the relevant switch, and does it look as if it has been disturbed? Can you take some photos of the switch and post them here?

·
18,857 Posts
There is another set of limit switches on the cover:

Soft Top Bow Limit Switch

I tend to agree with Lighthouse in that it's probably not a cylinder leak since the cover is hard to close manually.

·
18,857 Posts
I checked mine, and that's the last step in the top closing. It appears that all four limit switches on the cover would be in play at this point. Just a guess, but I'd look first at the bow limit switches in the cover itself. I believe those are being engage once the glass bow clicks in place, then it continues moving until the cover limit switches on behind the seat are engaged. Since it's not making that last move down, I don't see that the cover limit switches are even getting tripped.

·
18,857 Posts
Oh, and problems with the bow limit switches make sense because it's only a problem at closing. Theses switches signal when the rear window bow is seated on the cover at closing, but do nothing at opening.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
can i check somehow if the switch work.

I found 1 switch in the "lock hole" in the cover. were the window goes down and lock It could be that switch. if you open up the hole on the driver side you can see the switch in the direction of the left wheel

http://mbworld.org/forums/attachments/clk-class-w209/211388d1307308011-05-clk500-softop-unable-fully-close-photo-1.jpg

the other switch i found is this one:

http://mbworld.org/forums/attachments/clk-class-w209/211309d1307173654-05-clk500-softop-unable-fully-close-p6030131.jpg

1) can i check somehow if the switch work.
2 ) and the switch in the "lock hole" of the back window driver side

from this tread:
http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w209/402848-05-clk500-softop-unable-fully-close.html

·
18,857 Posts
The switch you see under the chrome latch is the bow switch. That's the one I think is not being triggered. I'd take the trim off the underside of the cover and check the switches to make sure they are not clogged with debris and make sure the wiring harnesses are in good condition. Also make sure the roller latches on the bow (under the glass) are in good condition and not broken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yearh.. i must take off the cover...

anybody know what the part number for this bow switch is. and maybe price?

as i see it. i can't figure out how this switch work. i can't see what should make contact with the roller latches.
maybe i have a plastic piece that is broken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anybody knows exactly what the part number for the switch name for the latch hole is ?

I been to the dealership. They could not see it from the drawings. There were 3 different oppurtunities .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is the switch called s84/19 ?

i don't want to keep on, but are there anybody who knows what this switch in under the chrome latch is called 100 % .. so i can order it ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts