Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the rear window in my '05 SL500 wasn't quite flush with the rear windshield surround (B pillar?) on the passenger side. It doesn't leak, but, with the roof up, driving over the potholed streets of San Francisco, it rattles a bit from that side. I thought it just needed adjusting so I took it to the dealer and the dealer told me that the roof panel had been bent, in their opinion it was due to me putting something on top of the luggage cover, perhaps on the side, and then operating the roof. Obviously I don't believe that I'm stupid enough to have ever put anything on top of the cover, but I wondered if anyone else had seen a similar problem and whether it was a three, five or seven thousand dollar fix...?

Oh, and sorry about the dust/pollen in the pictures, it's been really windy in NoCal recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
1,003 Posts
I would highly recommend contacting MBUSA at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES to order the model 230 STAR Service Manual for your vehicle. Part number is P-2700-230-07. It the best $60 you will ever spend. I found 4 items on my wife's 05 SL that needed repair that were listed on the DVD and all were done under warranty. I just printed out the description of the issue and no questions were asked. It's well worth the money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was at the dealership yesterday...while there I had a chance to look at about 7 or 8 R230 SL's (both 500's and 55's) ...and I remmembered this thread so I specificly checked each one to see how flush the rear window was. What I found was astonishing...there is apparently such a wide tolerance for this, some cars are dead on, some cars are off on both left and right side, some cars are fine on one side and off on the other...it varies from car to car. I guess it's fine as long as it doesn't leak. I'd say every car had a slight anomoly almost in rear window fit, some ever so slight, others more noticable. Each car was also a CPO ready to sell on the lot or 2 within the showroom and years ranged from '03 - '08.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts