Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
05SLK350 03CLK500
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the front windows supposed to fully lower during the folding of the top when using the remote? Mine only index. Manual seems to describe all windows fully lowering via the remote.
Also, and a much larger issue: driver side wing "rides up" a bit where it meets the roof but can be pushed down easily. It appeared to bind at one point during top operation today. We've had great weather for three days here so the top got a workout for the first time.

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
On the R171, the windows only go down a little bit when the roof is opened. This is true whether you use the remote or the switch in the car. On the older R170, the windows went all the way down when you opened the roof.

I like the new R171 design. Sometimes you don't want the windows down...just the roof.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Caspian Blue
11 Posts
haven't noticed any problem with the top down. the windows stay up which is desirable, and you could bring them down if you wanted to. the Airskarf is really wonderful especially when the top is down! i had the whole operation if hardtop down freeze on me once with the remote. i think it was because someone was in the way of the signal![8)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
mbslk350 - 3/6/2005 7:25 PM

I like the new R171 design. Sometimes you don't want the windows down...just the roof.
Especially when the passenger seat is occupied by someone who prefers to keep the hair less windblown...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
Regarding opening the windows via the switch in the car or the key. In the US, using the switch in the car, if you tap it back twice, the windows open. I always hold the switch till the roof is open and tap back twice and the windows follow.
As far as using the key, if you hold the key until the roof is fully open, then let go and press it again the windows will follow. I was a bit bummed when I thought I couldn't open the windows from outside the car, but after experimenting, I figured it out. It doesn't clearly explain this in the manual, but I do it in my car and it works great.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it seems some don't know.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
bmwnomore - 3/9/2005 7:08 AM
As far as using the key, if you hold the key until the roof is fully open, then let go and press it again the windows will follow.
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it seems some don't know.
Thanks for the tip, bmwnomore.

I, for one, didn't know that! It doesn't appear to be in the manual, and I too was kinda annoyed when I thought I couldn't open the windows from outside the car.

When I first tried it after reading your post, I thought it wasn't working, as I was just pressing the button momementarily after the roof was down. Then I realised you have to hold it down, the same as for the roof.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
two dogs - 3/8/2005 2:17 PM
rickboy,

I'm buggered if I could find any reference to it in my manual! Which section/page?

Cheers,
....Julian
Julian:
If you want a PDF copy of the US manual and you have broadband, pm me and I will email it (4 MB+)...[:D]

BTW - its pages235 & 236...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
Motzkoman - 3/10/2005 9:22 AM

two dogs - 3/8/2005 2:17 PM
rickboy,

I'm buggered if I could find any reference to it in my manual! Which section/page?

Cheers,
....Julian
Julian:
If you want a PDF copy of the US manual and you have broadband, pm me and I will email it (4 MB+)...[:D]

BTW - its pages235 & 236...[;)]
G'day Motzkoman,

Thanks for the offer; I'll PM you with my e-mail address shortly. Pages 235 and 236 of my manual are in the Engine Troubleshooting section, so the Oz manual is obviously different to the US one, and there could be other things I'm missing out on!

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
two dogs - 3/8/2005 2:34 PM

G'day Motzkoman,

Thanks for the offer; I'll PM you with my e-mail address shortly. Pages 235 and 236 of my manual are in the Engine Troubleshooting section, so the Oz manual is obviously different to the US one, and there could be other things I'm missing out on!

Cheers,
....Julian
Sent...Enjoy!!!...Cheers...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
Just to clarify, I looked in my manual(US) and it does not properly instruct you how to open the windows with the key. It says to open the windows, unlock the car then hold the unlock button down. It clearly says on page 236 "Press and hold button after unlocking the vehicle. The windows and retractable top begin to open after approximately one second". If you do that, as those of us with the smartkey know, the roof opens but the windows stay up. I don't see anywhere where it says to release the button and hold it down again to lower the windows. Maybe I'm missing something. But the only way I figured it out was by trial and error. I think the manual screwed up.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
Motzkoman - 3/10/2005 9:54 AM

two dogs - 3/8/2005 2:34 PM

G'day Motzkoman,

Cheers,
....Julian
Sent...Enjoy!!!...Cheers...[:eek:)]
Thanks mate, got it. It's got 120 more pages than the Oz manual! The section on "Opening and closing the windows with the SmartKey*" is definitely not in my manual.

I agree with bmwnomore that it's not obvious from the US manual that to get the windows down after the roof goes down, that you have to release the button, then press and hold it again.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Agree with you both...this exchange is the beauty of this forum...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
After glancing at the 359 pages of the U.S. manual, I think there is a market for a seminar for SLK owners. Like a 1 or 2 day school.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
R171 vs R170 roof operation

I suspect that MB decided to leave the windows up in order to trim a few seconds off the stated time to lower the roof.

mbslk350 - 3/6/2005 10:25 PM

On the R171, the windows only go down a little bit when the roof is opened. This is true whether you use the remote or the switch in the car. On the older R170, the windows went all the way down when you opened the roof.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/8/2005 4:56 PM

After glancing at the 359 pages of the U.S. manual, I think there is a market for a seminar for SLK owners. Like a 1 or 2 day school.
Given how spread out we are, maybe even an online webex training..[?]

of course with some local in car time...[;)]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
RE: R171 vs R170 roof operation

fgwinn - 3/8/2005 8:48 PM

I suspect that MB decided to leave the windows up in order to trim a few seconds off the stated time to lower the roof.
How would this effect the total time? [?] The windows take about 4 seconds to lower so they would be down 20 seconds before the rest of the top. Also raising the windows from the down position does not add to the time it takes to raise the top. Same principle in reverse.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
RE: R171 vs R170 roof operation

Perhaps I am mistaken. But, I thought the window operation occurred serially, rather than in parallel with the roof operation. I think the windows in the R170 go down before the roof starts to open. So that 4 seconds would be added to the total time.

Julien - 3/8/2005 10:27 PM

fgwinn - 3/8/2005 8:48 PM

How would this effect the total time? [?] The windows take about 4 seconds to lower so they would be down 20 seconds before the rest of the top. Also raising the windows from the down position does not add to the time it takes to raise the top. Same principle in reverse.

·
Registered
slk55amg
43 Posts
You CANNOT open windows fully using SmartKey. The manual said "summer windows open..." It only opens windows about 1/2 inch. You need to press open button about 2second, then windows open 1/2 inch. If you keep pressing button, top starts open. [xx(]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts