Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2003 model and love it. It belongs to the wife acyually, and I may let her drive it soon!!!!!!
I wonder if anyone can help. With the roof up there is a grating noise, I guess rubber on the frame to material on the hood. Anybody know of a useful lubricant.
Chris

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Try cleaning the area on both sides of the joint with a good detergent, dish soap, etc. first, and then apply some Vinylex to the rubber.
There shouldn't be much movement to start with, my roof clamps down tight enough so that you can actually see movement in the rear view mirror.
You don't want anything that leaves a residue as that will collect dust and dirt, which will just make the situation worse.
I believe clean and dry is the way to go.

By the way, welcome to our site, please add your location, year and model SLK to your avatar, it often helps when answering a question..... :)

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Just bought a 2003 model and love it. It belongs to the wife acyually, and I may let her drive it soon!!!!!!
I wonder if anyone can help. With the roof up there is a grating noise, I guess rubber on the frame to material on the hood. Anybody know of a useful lubricant.
Chris
Try this thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1327280-top-very-creaky.html?highlight=rubber+grease which has several solutions aside from Bruce's. We all get the creaks, some of them in the roof. :D
I use rubber grease on the roof rubbers every 3 months or so and it becomes peaceful again. Clean as Bruce suggested and try that before applying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts